Search the forum,

Discuss Retiled bathroom continually leaking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Beepboop

I’m having problems with my bathroom I’ve had retiled and really need some advice. Sorry – slight saga ahead.

The property is flat on the top two floors of a Victorian terrace house in London, I guess it was renovated about 5 years ago. The bathroom is on the lower of the 2 floors, but the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] floor of the house, and has wooden floors and partition walls. It has a bath with shower above it, the walls are tiled with slate and there’s a folding shower screen along the side of the bath.

There were previously problems with water coming through into the flat below when the shower was used, I put extra sealant around the bath and that fixed it. After a year the sealant became mouldy, so I thought I would re grout the tiles. Unfortunately as I removed the grout all the tiles just fell off the wall, they weren’t stuck on at all and were just being held up by the grout. At this point I thought I would get someone in as it was becoming a bigger job than I wanted to take on.

Because of come problems with the roof and gutter I’ve got people who work for the freeholder planned to come and do some work, so I asked them if they could do the bathroom, they came and said they’d redo the problem area for £200 using spare tiles I have, and assured me that everything would be sealed and leak free. The tiling looked OK when they had finished, but I was annoyed that the slate tiles were covered in a film of black grout. I started to polish it off, then realised I was doing work I had paid them for, and asked them to come back. I also noticed that no silicone sealant had been applied, so asked them to come and do that as well. I would have thought that was pretty basic – they weren’t bad about it and came the next morning, cleaned the tiling and .

After a couple of days to allow everything to set I said my (very annoyed by this point) tenant-flatmate could use the shower. It leaked into the flat below. I inspected the grouting and sealant and found holes in the grout and gaps in the sealant, it was mostly leaking in the corner, along the long side, and a little on the short side. I called them back and more grout and sealant was applied. It still leaked, more sealant was applied yesterday. I had a shower this morning and can still see water leaking through.

I’m now fed up with this whole situation. I didn’t tackle it myself as I didn’t want to do a half-assed job and for it still to leak, but I’ve managed to end up with that anyway. I feel like I should give up on them and get someone else in to do it. Is there any way I can tell for myself exactly what the problem is? Should I keep getting them in until it’s fixed, or can I get my money back off them and get someone else in to re do it? I paid them to sort the problem out, but it’s worse now.

Pic is of the bath after I removed the grout. 13699077020010.jpg

D

Deleted member 9966

hi beepboop
do you have any pics of the back of the tiles you took off? By the looks of the wall behind the tiles, the people who have fixed the tiles have used a dot and dab method to apply the tiles to the wall. This is a bad practice and you should have a read of this thread http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/68065-say-no-dot-dabbing-tiles.html to find out why.

I won't be able to answer your questions myself as I'm not a tiler, but certainly there will be plenty of members along today and this evening who will be able to guide you and provide the answers you need.

GRR :welcome:

B

Beepboop

Yes that's exactly right, some blobs of adhesive on each tile. In fact they (I assume the same people) did that to the kitchen floor and lots of the tiles broke there.

D

Deleted member 9966

This might not be what you want to hear, but you probably won't be able to solve the leaking problem until all the tiles are stripped off and the whole area is retiled properly. Because you are in a building where leakage could end up in somebody else's property, you really should consider the use of tanking membranes.

http://www.tilersforums.com/vbcms-comments/59863-why-there-need-tanking.html

http://www.tilersforums.com/tile-adhesive-grout/37983-why-use-tanking-compound.html

have a read of those threads. I am a huge advocate of tanking as my own en-suite shower leaked into the lounge due to poor tiling in the house when it was built.

T

Time's Ran Out

Grr is right about the job and the method of fixing!
Not much I can add apart from - get the people back you paid £200 to and have not fixed your problem.
They took the job on and now they are totally responsible to make sure it's watertight.

D

DHTiling

I agree with TJ , do not let the second lot who repaired it to get away with yet another D&D bodge job..

don'tdotanddab.jpg

B

Beepboop

I agree, though as they've done such a terrible job I'm not convinced they will ever sort it out properly. Certainly tanking has never been mentioned.

How much should I be looking at to strip / tank / retile a bath like that? The tiles reach up to the ceiling. They're black slate too, I think that needs to be sealed?

I

Ian

I agree, though as they've done such a terrible job I'm not convinced they will ever sort it out properly. Certainly tanking has never been mentioned.

How much should I be looking at to strip / tank / retile a bath like that? The tiles reach up to the ceiling. They're black slate too, I think that needs to be sealed?

We don't discuss pricing on the forums. You may wish to post your job in this forum http://www.tilersforums.com/im-looking-wall-floor-tiler/ and qualified tilers in your area will be able to contact you to provide you with quotes.

C

Ceramico tiling

You can never be sure unless you've used a membrane that has been attached to the bath or shower tray. I must have seen this problem 20 times in the past 6 years or so and they always recur!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The wall needs stripping of tiles and re-fixing. As previously stated the wall should be tanked to provide a watertight seal around the area. I wouldn't be convinced that the people who did the job are up to repairing the wall correctly if that was their attempt at repairing 1st time. If what you say is true about the kitchen floor then they are definitely not tilers, so you may have to go down a different route and get your £200 back and employ someone who knows what they are doing. Get references and speak to their customers or better still if they have anyone close to you where they have worked so you can see the quality of their work.

Good luck.

W

White Room

It's all been said above, a strip out would be required and personally I would'nt entertain the dot and dabbers to come back, waste of time and money.

T

Time's Ran Out

You may not want them back but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with poor workmanship.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I can't actually see the image. But have you looked for water marks under the bath? Not saying that you don't have issues with your tiling but what about your pipework and wastes?

C

Colour Republic

As i read it the picture is of the tiles removed before the builders attempted to repair it, so the dot and dab is from the original tilers who did the bathroom 5 years ago and not from the last lot???

How many tiles were replaced? just the bottom row that you removed or were more taken off?

If any of the original tiles were left on and they popped off as easy as you say they did then just think about what would happen if the top row was to fail whilst you're in the bath ;)

S

SJPurdy

Also check that the bath is correctly fixed and stable. Retailing and sealing is a waste of time if the bath moves up and down when filled/stood in.

if the walls are plaster which I suspect from the colour in your photo then I'd also question the weight of tiling that is being fixed to it - the weight limit for plaster walls is only 20kg/m2 which will be exceeded by slate (unless very thin). Not the reason for the leak but should be considered if re-tiling.

Reply to Retiled bathroom continually leaking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen