Search the forum,

Discuss Replace glass tile - which adhesive to use? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Dear all, as a homeowner, I have had to hack off a glass tile which is backpainted from a wet room.

It seems that the tile was pressed into a cement like glue as there are no visible trowel lines and it was really difficult to remove the remains of the old tile without hitting it very hard in places.

As a result, I don't have any space between the new tile and the surface to put a 2mm or 3mm bed of adhesive. I was wondering if I could simply glue a new tile on with low modulas neutral silicone like Dow Corning 785N bearing in mind there is a copper pipe to contend with.

Thanks for any advice

20201109_171637.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
normally with a painted back you would use an epoxy adhesive but many manufacturers now have cement based adhesives suitable .. a glass adhesive as you mentioned would need to be suitable for a wet area as well.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice.

Would a silicon based adhesive be suitable for a single tile? Or should I use a cement based adhesive designed for glass tiles?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice.

Would a silicon based adhesive be suitable for a single tile? Or should I use a cement based adhesive designed for glass tiles?
The last thing you want is bleed through , contact your local suppliers for a suitable adhesive ...
[automerge]1605006585[/automerge]
Also try carefully to remove the old adhesive , allowing room to bed the new tile in-situ.

Reply to Replace glass tile - which adhesive to use? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen