Search the forum,

Discuss Rectangle tile direction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lhdm5

I'm now popular with the tilers and my wife as I argued that I had told her weeks ago how I wanted them laid.

I used to be a ceiling fixer myself years ago and know exactly what I thought of clients changing their minds, at least we didn't glue ceilings up though.

She's going to have another look now and let me know, I just did a quick drawing and maybe accrossways would be better for the visual sizing of the rooms. I'll see when she sends a picture. I understand the tilers are having a beer until she gets there.

P

Peter

Not really a right or wrong way as such, depends a lot on the shape of the room, and where the doorway is. Some customers like to see the broken effect walking into the room, and others like to see the straight lines running. Personally, I prefer to lay the long side of the tile with the longer side of the room. Kitchens, I'd usually lay longways starting from the 'cooker unit' or whatever unit is against the back wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lhdm5

Not sure at the moment who made the decision to start as the conversation between my wife and I is limited right now.:argue:
I think the photos answer any more questions. :oops:It's probably a good job I'm 2000 miles away:egypt:, anyway as well as me paying to re-lay the tiles I've promised the guys all I can get from dutyfree in three weeks. At least the glue was still wet.
We are going with the longways route and despite my subsequent doubts will now have to be happy with the result.
Out of interest I'll post pics of the final result then you can all see if I was right or wrong, or divorced!
Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 102
  • photo_2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 94
L

lhdm5

The old floor has polished stone tiles down in a couple of areas which we originally thought about keeping but the whole house was a mish mash of these tiles, carpets, wood, red brick tiles, allsorts as it had various extensions over the years. In the end we decided to re-do the whole house in travertine as well as the outside terrace. Not cheap but we imported the tiles straight from Turkey which saved a bit.

What's the story with grey glue?

G

Gazzer

What's the story with grey glue?

If they dont get a solid bed then you could be getting shadowing, the grey adhesive showing through the tiles. It is usual to use white but i guess some dont think the same.

Reply to Rectangle tile direction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen