Search the forum,

Discuss Rectangle tile direction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lhdm5

Hello All,

What would be the default direction of laying rectangular tiles in a house?

I have travertine 60x40 tiles which are to go down throughout the ground floor area which is open plan including the dining/kitchen area, through the living room and entrance hall, plus out onto a large terrace area.

My thinking is to run the tiles long side running with longer dimension of the room.

Can someone give me some advice as my tilers are literally waiting to hear from me right now.

Thanks in advance

G

Gazzer

Hello All,

What would be the default direction of laying rectangular tiles in a house?

I have travertine 60x40 tiles which are to go down throughout the ground floor area which is open plan including the dining/kitchen area, through the living room and entrance hall, plus out onto a large terrace area.

My thinking is to run the tiles long side running with longer dimension of the room.

Can someone give me some advice as my tilers are literally waiting to hear from me right now.

Thanks in advance

Thats usually the way i go but some clients prefer different.

T

The D

How about laying the tiles at a 45 degree angle and brick bond like this.
deanotile-albums-my-pics-picture8171-image113.jpg

Reaction score
Its a personal taste thing mate.

I always say run the long edge with the direction you will be walking, if you understand:thumbsup:

But I've just done a couple of 600x300 slate jobs, where both customers, coincidentally, have opted to tile brick bond across the width of the floor.....

No wrong or right way I suppose:smilewinkgrin:

L

lhdm5

They've already laid 20m2 down today but across the long dimension, I've asked them to stop while my wife has another look and sends me pictures as I'm overseas.

I'm still thinking my preference is correct but I understand from somewhere else that laying long tile side across the shortest dimension will allow for wall discrepencies, however having had my plan in my mind I just can't get my head around seeing it as the tilers have started it.

M

mikethetile

it depends on the dimensions of the room

if a room is long and narrow laying the tiles with long side to the long wall will emphasise the narrowness whereas laying across the room will shorten the room and make the long walls seem further out

on a rectangular room I would lay long side with long wall

M

mikethetile

So you haven't decided yet, but the tilers have fixed 20m2:yikes: You'll be popular if you change the direction from what they've fixed:lol::lol:
I was thinking that

unless it was specified beforehand they havent done anything wrong other than not seeking clarification from the client before laying

Reply to Rectangle tile direction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen