Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss questions on college course in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bezzuk

hi all, I'm new to the forum.
I am 17 years old and recently just finished a level 2 diploma in mechanical engineering. About half way through the course I knew it wasn't for me as there was way more theory than what I expected, but I decided to continue with the course and got it completed. I have now set my sights on a level 2 wall and floor tiling course, which is a c-skills technical certificate, and basically I'm wanting to know where this will set me after completion. college say it will give me the skills to enter the industry at trainee level, and also that I will have to undertake an nvq when in employment. Does this trainee classification only stand if you are working for a large company doing commercial new builds etc? as a trainee will I be paid less and watched over by an experienced tiler or something? why will I need the nvq? and if I were to work for a small local company who only do domestic work will I need this nvq? and how much would it cost? sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to work out where I will stand when I complete the course.
hope someone can clear it up for me.
cheers

P

prceramics

you don't need the nvq for domestic work but beware in entering this profession there is not a lot of work out there my friend good luck :8:

A

AMtek

I wouldn't bother with the course, phone round and try to get a couple of weeks work experience with a tiler, offer your services for free and if they are impressed with you they might take you on as an apprentice. The pay will be rubbish and you will more than likely do nothing but mix up, wash down and watch for your first year. Stick with it, learn your trade then get the NVQ. If this sounds like too much work then you don't really want to be a tiler anyway

Reply to questions on college course in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks