Search the forum,

Discuss product like no more ply when tiling a first floor bathroom in a new (2018) build house? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
My house was built in 2018, the floor is sheet boarded which I believe to be green chipboard. I am told these are bonded together as well as to the I joists. There is not a lot of movement but I am no expert. So I ask "is it necessary to use a product like no more ply when tiling a first floor bathroom in a new (2018) build house?".

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

Yes it would need to be boarded over with a suitable tile backer board. Not plywood. Chipboard is not a suitable substrate to be tiled direct to.

I can only assume you have had a tiler tell you this and you doubt it? Quite a common one when I quote new builds also.

Reaction score
Hi Richard,

Yes it would need to be boarded over with a suitable tile backer board. Not plywood. Chipboard is not a suitable substrate to be tiled direct to.

I can only assume you have had a tiler tell you this and you doubt it? Quite a common one when I quote new builds also.
Hi Tony. Thank you for the response. It was suggested by a colleague but was unsure since it was not mentioned when I bought the tiles and sundries to complete the job. From the research I have done I like the sound of the 6mm no more ply backer board and fixings. Would you agree this to be a suitable product?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yeah 6mm no more ply will be suffice, I don't use no more ply I use 6mm hardiebacker board instead but they will do the same job 🙂. Just different methods to fix them.

Kudos to your colleague as they saved your bacon and to you for looking into it further also 😁

Last edited:

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Same as @Tony_C, I prefer 6mm Hardie on floors over No More Ply.

I find it easier to screw down as it doesn’t split as easily on the edges and the boards are bigger so better coverage for your £.

Reaction score
Yeah 6mm no more ply will be suffice, I don't use no more ply I use 6mm hardiebacker board instead but they will do the same job 🙂. Just different methods to fix them.

Kudos to your colleague as they saved your bacon and to you for looking into it further also 😁
Thanks again Tony.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I much prefer the bal board now, you tried it?

I have actually, I bought some when they had the BAL trade day at CTD to try it out. It is much lighter and easier to cut but a little more expensive. Also the bal rep said they actually recommended the 12mm for floors 🤔. I went for the 6mm. I'd happily use it again

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Reply to product like no more ply when tiling a first floor bathroom in a new (2018) build house? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen