Search the forum,

Discuss Priming walls and following grout lines in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

Vw1978

Just had a plasterer in to straighten my bathroom walls out, he used bonding plaster ( this hasn't been skimmed ) to level it all out so tiling should be easier but I need to know if the bonding plaster needs priming with anything, he said use PVA 50/50 but isn't it water based? So maybe not a good idea in a bathroom? (I don't know).
My other question was - I have just purchased 25 boxes of porcelain tiles 600x300 for the walls and 5 boxes 600x300 (different tiles) for the floor, I'm wanting to stack the tiles on the wall rather than 'brick fashion' and was hoping to be able to follow the grout lines through the floor, but after measuring the tiles for the floor they aren't 600x300 as advertised, they are 597x297 which unless I make the grout lines wider on the floor it's not going to work, I know it won't work when you look at the floor from the other adjoining wall because there is 2x300 tiles meeting up with a 600 tile so I would have an extra grout line to add in, but I may have gotten away with it because of the way our suite sits you don't get to see much of that wall, so now I'm not sure what to do, do I take the floor tiles back and look for something else? (Bearing in mind it's taken us weeks to pick these) or should I try and 'brick fashion' the floor and forget about try to match in grout lines? Any ideas?
All advice appreciated.
Cheers

Another question - I have a briccolina wet tile cutter and need a new blade for it but can't find one, does anyone else use these and know where to purchase them from? The problem with it is it has two holes in the blade, one centre arbour and the other is a smaller off set hole that attaches to another bolt on the motor.

S

Stef

Hi you will need to get your plasterer back as you can't tile to bonding,
Well some "Tilers" say you can but they are the ones that leave their horse tied up outside.
You will get a replacement blade for the bricollina through trade tiler.
Grind off the extra nib in the cutter as it serves no purpose..

R

Rossymcg

You can get a briccolino blade from emc ceramics, they do a nice porcelain one there

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Regarding the floor I would just do a random bond and I would start with centreing the floor tile, on the 300 side, on a wall joint. This would look better IMO as you have said, for every row of tiles you lay you will be 3mm out each row, which will look like you've tried to match the joints but just failed to do so.

C

charlie1

Here an idea. Match the grout lines as close as you can with the same 2mm joint...it's going to run out I here you say! ... Yes! Now rip down same tile in to 100mm skirting and stager the joints for the skirting and bob will be your mothers brother

T

TJ Smiler

Yeah you will have to get it skimmed. And don't use PVA, get a primer, if you have a Topps tiles near you then pop in and pick yourself up some 'Bal primer' that will do the trick, just make sure you read the instructions and mix to the correct ratio for plaster......

PS you do know you will have to leave it now for several weeks for the bonding and skim to dry out properly?

PPS great idea from Charlie by the way

W

White Room

I would have said the Briccolina maybe pushing it for 600x300 porcs and depending the thickness of your tiles they maybe to heavy for any gypsum plaster.

Reply to Priming walls and following grout lines in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen