Search the forum,

Discuss Primers and Trims in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

andyb_987

Hi dudes, Is it common practice to tile trim round the door i a bathroom retile?

Also what is your prefered choice of primer?

:grin:

G

grumpygrouter

I normally tile up to the door frame and then silicone.

As for primer, currently using Ardex P51. Only cos I bought a big bucket for a timber floor job and have got loads left. Once it has gone, maybe use BAL Prime APD as a general primer. Depends on cost and how quick the stuff dries.

Grumpy

P

protilers

putting trims around a door is not neccesairy, just put your cuts into the frame.......this is if i understand the question properly.....as for primers,
they are usually relative to the adhesive you use, i use mapei keraquick and primer g....if you use ardex it will be a different primer etc.
good luck

A

andyb_987

Thanks for the replys guys.
When you say tile in to the frame do u mean that tlie near to the edge then stick the door facing back on?
Also would u give the customer the choice between putting the trim right round the door or tiling into the frame with the facing wood stuck back on if indeed that is what u do/
Cheers

B

bigdaz

what they mean is the door frames should already be attached to the door surround and you tile up to them with the cut edge of your tiles up to the wooden frame then apply silicone seal. you don't tile behind the wooden frame

A

andyb_987

Ok cheers I understand that as that is what I have done in the 3 bathrooms that Ive fitted.
This time yhe customer has asked for trims around the door to the bahtroom.
Is this ok to do?
If not should I recomend the method that has been discussed? cheers

A

andyb_987

I am saying that where the door facing is noramlly there would be tiles to the edge finished with a beads all around the door. if that makes sense.
The question is-is this ok to finish it like this ?:huh2:

I feel that it would be ok but my concern is that through time and the door constantly opening and shutting the beads would become loose.
And therefore an unhappy customer

D

DHTiling

Yes andy that is deffo OK to finish that way...in-fact it looks better some times depending on the tiles......

Reply to Primers and Trims in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen