Currently reading:
preparation for bathroom floors with wet UFH

Search the forum,

Discuss preparation for bathroom floors with wet UFH in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

3 bathroom floors, all with wet UFH, currently have movement in them. Two of them have walk-in shower areas, grout has broken in many places, tiles have lost alignment, tiles move and some are so loose it wouldn't take much effort to get them up.
After the existing tiles are taken up what is the best way to prep the floors to avoid this happening again?
are we talking 22mm or 25mm marine ply on top of the wet UFH, then Ditra matting or some other decoupling membrane
before I fix in flexible addi?
Are there any grouts that are more flexible than others?

The sub floor under the UFH is timber

your advice is appreciated

andy

P1010970.jpg P1010969.jpg P1010967.jpg P1010972.jpg

got some more but you probable get the idea

Attachments

• P1010965.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 54
no it didn't happen to me, a builder i've just done a couple of jobs for, asked me to go and put a bit of grout on the floors!! I've told him grout is not going to fix this, it needs ripping up and starting again
I think when they have fixed the ply onto the UFH they haven't fixed it properly, maybe too few screws in case they hit the wet UFH pipes
I think the floors have been down about 12 months
I might be the one who gets the job to rip it up and redo, just wanted advice on how to prep it properly. I was thinking ditra matting ontop of new 25mm ply

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
yeah well whatever it is its got to be put right, I should know more tomorrow
How should a floor be prepared for tiling when its got wet UFH?

You are no doubt right. I don't think you will know how much work till you take up the existing. So I guess optimism is the key.

Update,l chipboard was laid over the wet UFH, then 9mm ply screwed into the chipboard, then tiled!
Don't know if the ply was primed beforehand!

A nice fella works for CTD suggested I get in touch with the manufacture of the UFH system, see if they have a tech guide for tiling

Is it a case of rip one floor up and have a look at whats n take it from there?

:huh2:

Reply to preparation for bathroom floors with wet UFH in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement