Search the forum,

Discuss Potential pitfalls on victorian pathway in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

All Squared Rob

Hi all, Ive just had a job in where the customer wants me to lay a victorian path. Its 10 x 1.3m onto concrete that was layed last October, it is flat but has a slight incline from the house to street. The main tiles are 100x100mm but the ones for the border are a quarter of the size.
As this will be my first time laying this type of path i was wondering if anyone could point out any potential banana skins before i slip on them!
Ive mainly been wondering if i can tile straight to the concrete or will it need further preparation as the finish is quite rough. I have uploaded photos to show this.
Also if i should use my normal 13mm u notch trowel for large format or is there something more suitable for these small format tiles? Perhaps a solid-bed tipped trowel?
Any further advice also welcome!

20150714_151953.jpg
20150714_152016.jpg
20150714_152006.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice job that will be!

I'd assume you need to sort that concrete out. It's not be much of a problem with large tiles but 25x25mm are going to get lost in the amount of adhesive you'd need to overcome that roughness.

So level / smooth that. Not sure what with I'll let the lads suggest something.

How far in from the edge is the border going? You want to run a string line down the edge to see how straight it is. It looks straight but it might not be 25mm tile straight. So that might judge how far in the border is going.

O

Old Mod

If ur concerned the concrete is rough, then stick a smoothing compound on it!
If this is ur first time then give urself every chance.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, especially as it's outside, consider using a housebrick as a sander. Rub it over the whole floor you wouldn't believe how much smoother you'd get it. It'll take off any high spots easy. And then smooth it with the adhesive then as Dave says.

Reply to Potential pitfalls on victorian pathway in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen