Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain floor tiles on plywood in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Raz

Hi,

I'm looking to get commercial premises tiled with porcelain. The building is currently a shell with new flooring to go in. I have been advised to go with 22mm chipboard with 15mm plywood on top. In terms of primer and adhesive I have been advised that the plywood should be primed on the underside and the edges with Mapei primer g and Mapei keraquick should be used as adhesive.

Can someone please clarify if the above is the best solution for an area of approx 400 sq.m.

Also can Mapei keraquick be used on plywood?

R

Raz

Many thanks for the advice.

Aligage, if I was to go without the chipboard will the floor not creak?
The flooring needs to be suitable for heavy traffic.

Is hardie applied down with adhesive?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
As Aligage says, especially in a heavy traffic area as you say you'll have, the floor needs zero deflection ( bounce ) otherwise you'll have tiles popping / cracking and grout coming out of the joints. What is the substrate at the moment, how high is the floor to be raised prior to tiling.

R

Raz

Currently the floor was made of plywood (I think) with linoleum on top.
The floor is 700mm high from ground floor level.
What's the downside of applying tiles onto ply?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
The downside is that the floor could / will fail due to ingress of moisture causing the ply to de-laminate, excessive movement due to expansion and or contraction or deflection ( bounce ) witch will cause tile and grout failure.

YES, we used to tile to ply and YES it worked, not always though, there are horror stories on these forums that will attest to that, if your going to do the job right, and it sounds as if you want to, then listen to the guys, they are some of the best fixers in the country :D

R

Raz

In terms of hardie, can you apply it with screws only also what do you guys think of applying hardie straight onto 22mm chipboard and will 6mm hardie be sufficient.

Reply to Porcelain floor tiles on plywood in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen