Search the forum,

Discuss Polished Porcelain Staining! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tiledout

I have a newly laid 25sqm 60x60 polished porcelain tile kitchen/hall floor. Tiles were from B&Q and were sealed before and after grouting (as instructed on packs). The sealer was FILA Polished Porcelain Impregnator Sealer. The sealer was left overnight for each coat.

The tiles have only been down a week and appear super sensitive to staining from red wine, coffee/tea and grease. They also take up print ink from cardboard boxes. A disaster for a kitchen area.

Any ideas why this should be so and what I can do to reduce stain damage? Do I need to remove the Fila sealant before trying another type, e.g. Lithofin? Will this solve the problem? Can I remove existing stains from the surface?

Totally sh*fted at the moment!

D

Droopy

Get back to the store you bought them from and demand that the manger comes out and sees the job.
I have heard this a few times about porc' from B&Q. And a few folk have had full refunds because of it.
It also explains why they are so cheap in B&Q at the minute.

V

versatilene

staining from red wine, coffee/tea and grease. They also take up print ink from cardboard boxes. A disaster for a kitchen area.

Only been down a week and they have to put up with all this abuse in such a short time. Messy customers you have!!!

M

mick7

gosh I'm really worried now as I'm about to lay 50 sq metres of 60 x 60 porcelaine tiles in my new extention. I intend to seal them as well. I thought these tiles were fairly indestructable, they have them in lots of commercial buildings,airports etc.
PS: How do you clean them to keep them shiny.
PPS have you managed to get the marks off???

L

Leatherface

bad luck mate,
sorry but wouldn't have Fila sealer given.
Always use LTP
never had a problem !!!

L

Leatherface

Advise you use a specific sealer for porcelain polished tiles - standard lithofin etc is not really best to use. I always use LTP sealers
Also if screed is good enough then no need to self level
Regards Nick

B

brian c

i think seal guartd is for grout Dan but not totally sure.

B&Q tiles again eh!The geaeral concensus on these tiles is that they are very porus and not to leave the grout on for long .

L

Leatherface

i think seal guartd is for grout Dan but not totally sure.

B&Q tiles again eh!The geaeral concensus on these tiles is that they are very porus and not to leave the grout on for long .

Sorry
you will find if you investigate, that Porcelain tiles by nature are not actually very pourus, only when polishing do the top couple of layers become likely to absorb staining.
Hence a good sealer should do the trick, no matter where the tiles have come from !!!!
For all you know Topps Tiles, Your Local Tile Shop or B & Q could all use the same supplier in Turkey (or wherever )
Use the correct sealer and you will be ok !!!

Reply to Polished Porcelain Staining! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen