Search the forum,

Discuss Plywood + Flexible adhesive or Plywood + Ditra matting in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dumbo

Main thing ensure al floor boards are secured first ,then ply ,i did a job similar,the joinerpulled up the boards ,then 18 mm ply onto joists ,then ditra ,big area do it once properly ,
If you do as @3_fall you do not at any point get a continuous joint coming from the joists to the to surface
IMG-1408.JPG

Marty M

TF
Reaction score
Only timber floor I have ever had a failure on was floorboards over layed with 6mm Hardie.
You end up with basically 3 joints in around 5 inches and that’s where the tiles cracked.
I always take them up now.
Thanks for the reply @Boggs . Yes I was told the substrate floor needs to be a decent thickness. 6mm defo too thin

Marty M

TF
Reaction score
Main thing ensure al floor boards are secured first ,then ply ,i did a job similar,the joinerpulled up the boards ,then 18 mm ply onto joists ,then ditra ,big area do it once properly ,
Cheers for the reply. I now have two people on here, yourself and 3_fall who have recommended pulling up the floor boards. Looks like this is the way to go. Regards to the Ditra, any particular brand/type of adhesive you use for the Ditra to ply and then tile to Ditra?

Reaction score
I'd use 12 mm Hardiebacker board over top of your floorboards but ensure that the floorboard aren't loose or rocking then screw backer board every 150 mm or 6 inch in old money if you want to be over cautious screw 10 mm centres use yellow zinc screw though as they don't corrode apparently

Reply to Plywood + Flexible adhesive or Plywood + Ditra matting in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen