Discuss Please tell me straight in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

trayjord

Hi all!

Late last year I decided I wanted a new bathroom installed. I spent a few weeks selecting all the different items I wanted for my bathroom. I found a local tradesmen who assured me he was able to fit bathrooms and tile and I basically listened. I don't have much experience when it comes to workmen. My husband has a basic understanding of bathrooms but sadly he works such long hours that he simply doesn't have the time for DIY projects.

I don't want to 'live in the past' so to speak because it can't be changed. Basically we went on holiday while the bathroom was being installed. Upon return I really did breakdown. I have never ever seen such a shocking bathroom. Fittings smashed & cracked, tiling looked I had done it, water leaking through my ceiling, missing tiles, gaps.... I could be here all day and night writing it out.

As it standards I can't salvage very much I don't think.
The radiator, the shower, and perhaps the monitor for the underfloor heating. The rest is only worthy of a skip I think. It doesn't look new, it looks like a teen has thrown a party in the bathroom.

At the moment I don't have a useable shower or a sink. I have a toilet (which spits when I flush it) and a bath tub. I am managing with just the toilet and the bath tub at the moment because its all I have.

I am now at the point where I am ready to start again. I will replace damaged items that I had my heart set on. I will buy different tiles, the ones I have will remind me of this mess so new tiles is a must.

Can anyone give me some good solid advice please?

What size tile is the best for bathrooms?
I had underfloor heating fitted (warmup sticky mat) but I have been advised that when the tiles come up, the mat will most likely be damaged. Should I go with wire or mat, under tiles?
When hiring a tradesman what should I be looking for? It is so difficult from a customers point of view. So much conflicting info. Some advice tanking a shower, others don't. Some advice the dabbing method, others don't. (the workman I employed dabbed behind all my tiles on the walls and floor and most have come up or fallen off). Some want payment upfront, others on finish of job.

Please help me in the right direction.

T

Time's Ran Out

We have a couple of forum members based in the Leeds area - don't go anywhere else - just contact them and invite a tender from up to 3 members.
Look at their portfolios and follow their input to the forum and make your choice.
Discuss your work via conversation post or messaging and get an idea of costs before they come out. There is a directory section based on areas for you to choose.
Enjoy the new bathroom!

D

Dumbo

Their is no need to ever pay a tradesman upfront apart from sometimes materials if there are a lot of them or if they are special order items .

O

Old Mod

Their is no need to ever pay a tradesman upfront apart from sometimes materials if there are a lot of them or if they are special order items .
You can't be that general with your statement, there are many reasons why a deposit is taken.
I always take a deposit one week in advance to show good will and intent by the client and to cover costs of materials. I learnt many years ago that paying for materials out of my own pocket can be a mistake.

D

Dumbo

You can't be that general with your statement, there are many reasons why a deposit is taken.
I always take a deposit one week in advance to show good will and intent by the client and to cover costs of materials. I learnt many years ago that paying for materials out of my own pocket can be a mistake.
To be honest I don't ever take deposits on labour . Their is no need , if that job falls out of bed I do another . As regards materials as I said if there is a lot I would take payment but if there is a relatively small amount I will cover until job is paid for. I dare say I will be paid before the materials are due for payment . If the customer had a legitimate reason for not paying they would want back money they had paid you anyway .

O

Old Mod

To be honest I don't ever take deposits on labour . Their is no need , if that job falls out of bed I do another . As regards materials as I said if there is a lot I would take payment but if there is a relatively small amount I will cover until job is paid for. I dare say I will be paid before the materials are due for payment . If the customer had a legitimate reason for not paying they would want back money they had paid you anyway .
Yes but that only applies to you and your situation, and it certainly won't apply to every job or every tradesman. You can't speak on behalf of other tradesamen. That's all I'm saying.
If you want to discuss it fiurther, that's great, start a new thread tho please.

T

trayjord

Awww thankyou Martyn.

John came to visit us last week so we could show off our lovely newly installed bathroom o_O I'm just happy that visitors rarely ask to use the bathroom. Very embarrassing!

Reply to Please tell me straight in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks