Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Other countries tiling trends in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Bill

Mud is sand and cement - all our shower bases were once done in 'mud'..........

I still do the odd one but customers now spend hundreds of pounds buying shower bases.....wish I was a shower base supplier.......

F

Flintstone

I find it very un usual that In Italy they don't have pre formed wet trays, and especially in America.

N

NZ_Tiler

I'm not sure how many of you are on instagram and alike but it's very apparent that in Australia and America they are big on there water proofing, and the use of mud? Im not totally sure what that is but they form floors and trays with it, and I see a lot of tiled ceilings in bathrooms which is something I've not seen over here, anyone done one like that?

Hi, in NZ we waterproof all showers. Depending on what region you're in the council may need to inspect it before tiling. Some councils also require a flood test.

As for mud, term isn't used much by tilers I would guess it's more of a bricklayers thing-their motar.

Never tiled a ceiling I do recall our mapei rep saying they won't give any warranty on ceiling tiling, which is fair enough I guess with H&S these days

O

One Day

Hi, in NZ we waterproof all showers. Depending on what region you're in the council may need to inspect it before tiling. Some councils also require a flood test.

As for mud, term isn't used much by tilers I would guess it's more of a bricklayers thing-their motar.

Never tiled a ceiling I do recall our mapei rep saying they won't give any warranty on ceiling tiling, which is fair enough I guess with H&S these days

Who pays for the inspection? Roughly how much and what are the consequences of not having an inspection?
I really wish we did the same here...!

N

NZ_Tiler

The customer pays(don't know cost). It's part of their building consent.

Renovations are a grey area, may or may not need depending on region/council.

It is good but to be honest my experience is the inspectors don't always know what they are looking at.

No inspection may result in your building not being signed off tiles may need to be ripped off.

When you go to sell the house and no documents for waterproofing it will devalue your property

I

Italy

I'm reading this story, I want to see to what degree arrives......
History almost touching ... ;)

S

stephenoneill

Tiling trends here in France .Large imitation wood tiles everywhere .All floors are a sand cement screed.2mm joints.10 year guarantee on all work obligatoir

I

Italy

Tiling trends here in France .Large imitation wood tiles everywhere .All floors are a sand cement screed.2mm joints.10 year guarantee on all work obligatoir
in Europe and I believe all over the world, ensuring the tiler is 2 years.
the guarantee of 10 years, is for the builder of the house.
(The tiler, can give a guarantee of 10 years, but only if in writing and signed).
but by law, it is not mandatory.

O

Old Mod

In the states at least, you're liable for your work for 6 years, regardless.
Even if you only give a 12 month warranty yourself!

Reply to Other countries tiling trends in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks