Search the forum,

Discuss OSB + Softwood Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pt44

Hi chaps

There is a lot of previous discussions on tiling over wooden floors. Usually involves WBP Plywood (Weather & Boil Proof - I always wanted to know what that meant). However, I have a floor to do which is not traditional boards nor is it WBP.

I think its either OSB (Orientated Stranded Board) or Softwood Ply. Now I know they look very different, but my old fuddy brain can't remember which one I saw. I think it was the softwood ply, but thought I'd ask about OSB for future reference at the same time.

So - I could slap on a layer of 18mm WBP - after screwing down the previous surface. However, that is too thick. So I was hoping to get away with the 6mm hardibacker method or no more ply 6mm. But as I already have 2 sheets of hardi in my garage, it would be nice to get rid of them.

Question therefore is - can I put the 6mm hardi over the softwood ply? Presumably being a ply, it is very similar in strength to the WBP. This is going on a bathroom floor, not a wet room. Its then being tiled with Ceramic Tiles. 316 x 316mm. Using Weber SPF to lay them.

Also, do I need to joint the boards with tape. Could I get away with plastering tape - as it looks identical to the hardi stuff - and its not going to need to be waterproof or anything. Floor does not flex at all - from my bounce test.

Thanks in advance

Paul

G

Gazzatile

Hardibacker say that there product is not a replacement for ply but a waterproof layer

Reply to OSB + Softwood Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen