Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Opinions please in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

Wanted to get a couple of opinions. I recently done a couple of bathroom installs and tiling for a relatively new construction company.
Whilst working on site I was asked about tiling the hallway, utility room and a family/kitchen room.
When the company ripped out the travertine floor they managed to put the kango right through the floor and hit the main water feed to the kitchen. Only 170mm down!
Thus ment all the wet UFH had to be ripped out. So, I went on Schluters 2 day course, learnt about Bekotec-therm and quoted as such to suppl, fit insulation, panels, UFH and to screed, tile etc.

Since I recommended Schluter. The company contracted someone else in to put the UFH in, and another comoany to screed. I didn't have the time so fair enough. However, I was on site still working on the bathrooms when all this was done.
Had a site meeting with the construction company and the screeders and advised what was required. For those that don't know the screed needs to be:

4:1 sand/cement
No reinforcement or fibres
8mm above panel nibs minimum and no greater than 25mm.

What has gone in is:

4:1sand/cement
Fibre reinforcement
Approximately 95-110mm above nibs!

Ive since cleared from site.
Ive been emailing Schluter as to warranty and implications of incorrect screeding. I fed this back to the construction company and we went our separate ways.

I've since learnt that despite no warranty, and advice from Schluter themselves they have contracted someone in to tile it!
80sqm, no expansion joint either.

My question is, would you inform the client!? I got on really well with them and I suspect that if they knew there instalk was not only incorrect but unwarranted they'd want it doing properly. Certainly as this part of the overall renovation on their home is costing them best part of £15K.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I would yes, I am in a similar predicament with a builder who wanted me to tile a wet screed however I gave him Alan Jacksons advice and I received a call from the builders cousin who recommended me saying I should stay clear as he is in money troubles.

The tiling will go ahead on wet screed with ditra and an uncomissioned floor. Should I tell the client even though I only met her once?

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
In both cases as far as I'm concerned.......it's not your job, or your problem. If they both went against your advice and then someone else done the tiling, then that's between the builder & customer.

You may come out as a case of sour grapes.

Reaction score
Yes I'am with CJ here Ali ! i would just move on to your next job, you Did your best ,and whent above and beyond the call of duty mate ,we can all wast our time on stuff like this is it really worth it ?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I figured this might split opinion. Ill be honest this post was made after i emailled the client yesterday. It plagued me for a while and to be honest i couldnt sit back and not at least pass the information on. Always believe honest is the best policy. The way i see it if the construction passed the info over all well and good. If not and it fails my name still lurks in the background. I suggested the system as suitable for their install and fit for purpose.
If they haven't been told until my email the my conscience us clear no?

radim

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have been told by builder i worked for - U work for me u deal with me.

on the other side customer pays his money and deserves right product.
Tell him.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just leave your card Ali and be sure to tell them to ring you if they need anything.

M

Mr Tiler

Hi guys and girls,

Wanted to get a couple of opinions. I recently done a couple of bathroom installs and tiling for a relatively new construction company.
Whilst working on site I was asked about tiling the hallway, utility room and a family/kitchen room.
When the company ripped out the travertine floor they managed to put the kango right through the floor and hit the main water feed to the kitchen. Only 170mm down!
Thus ment all the wet UFH had to be ripped out. So, I went on Schluters 2 day course, learnt about Bekotec-therm and quoted as such to suppl, fit insulation, panels, UFH and to screed, tile etc.

Since I recommended Schluter. The company contracted someone else in to put the UFH in, and another comoany to screed. I didn't have the time so fair enough. However, I was on site still working on the bathrooms when all this was done.
Had a site meeting with the construction company and the screeders and advised what was required. For those that don't know the screed needs to be:

What has gone in is:

Fibre reinforcement

Ive been emailing Schluter as to warranty and implications of incorrect screeding. I fed this back to the construction company and we went our separate ways.

I've since learnt that despite no warranty, and advice from Schluter themselves they have contracted someone in to tile it!

My question is, would you inform the client!? I got on really well with them and I suspect that if they knew there instalk was not only incorrect but unwarranted they'd want it doing properly. Certainly as this part of the overall renovation on their home is costing them best part of £15K.

thanks for that ali, whats a nib mate?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

What has gone in is:

Fibre reinforcement

Whilst it has not played to the strengths of the bekotech system and will probably be blooming inefficient the overall depth and nature of the screed subject to it being properly compacted has become a standard sand cement floating screed. It should have had movement joints as normal at that depth. I would not stir up any troubles for the client personally.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Whilst it has not played to the strengths of the bekotech system and will probably be blooming inefficient the overall depth and nature of the screed subject to it being properly compacted has become a standard sand cement floating screed. It should have had movement joints as normal at that depth. I would not stir up any troubles for the client personally.

That would never be my intention. My plaguing worry was the lack of warranty on a rather expensive part if the build.

I don't mind being blunt and honest at times, and as we are in the arms at least.............it's if my opinion this company will be gone within a year. The family area/kitchen was a huge part if the overall project. A project that has been a shambles from the start. When this floor fails, if the company are gone then a very nice couple are gonna be in the proverbial.

I agree with all your comments, but a large proportion of the work has my name on it, and allbeit a small portion, this floor is amongst it. I felt obliged to say something after hearing Schluters opinion, and I suppose there is a small amount of reputation protection ;-)

Reply to Opinions please in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks