Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Now With Pictures! The Importance Of Planning And Preparation in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Okay, so a mountain bike accident has left me with to much time on my hands and so I thought I would post on the importance of planning and preparation. Hopefully this may be of use to tilers with limited experience.
This job was done several years ago and I will go through the main points as best I can.
The first is money, to do a job with this level of prep you need to have a good price in for it, or a day rate with the trust of the client. This lets you spend the time required to get it right.
Second is get involved early. This means you can have your say about layout, positioning of recesses, electrics and plumbing, and spot problems before they happen. You will have something to offer, it's not just about making it easier but making it look better as well.
On this job we used a mix of natural stone and bisazza mosaics. Mosaics always look better if you can get them to work out to full cubes wherever you can.
So with this in mind you have to think about every wall before you fix a tile.
image.jpeg
When fixing onto ply I usually coat the walls with mapenet 150, primed with sbr, then fixed with flexible adhesive and then smoothed over with the flat of your trowel. This is because you have no control over the surface you're tiling onto and wood loves to move and shrink as it drys. this might seem belt and braces but when the builder insists on using ply instead of a more suitable product it's better to be safe than sorry. after having to chop out and remove a tile (thermostat in wrong place), I no this works.
image.jpeg
Walls are built out with adhesive to make sure you end up with full mosaics.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
U shaped channels for led strip lights follow the bulkhead around the room and continue across windows.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This show how early input on setting out can result in an easier job and a better finish.
image.jpeg
When using certain tanking systems you end up with a lot of overlaps in corners and at joints, it's worth spending the time to build up the low areas to achieve a flat smooth surface. the mosaics will only be as good as the surface you're laying them on. I find mapenet perfect for the final prep.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Now it's time for the mosaics, if you've been able to get the walls right you should end up with full cubes.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
When using ufh I again use the mapenet to help hold the cables flat so you can prep the floor to the finish you want on the tile. It has to be done before you start fixing it's almost impossible bed up mosaics.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Take time to mask up the stone if using a different grout to the walls especially with epoxy.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I know most of this seems obvious to a lot people and I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but I hope this is of use to a few of you because when you only type with one finger, this has took me ages to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Ooow!
Not tried that.
Well just mixed big bucket of TM ultimate so can't do anything right now.
If no one has sorted it before I'll have a look after this.

I

Ian

I've had a look mate and there's nothing there, even when I go into your post (as if to edit it) no pics are showing and there are no links to them. They've magically vanished. Try and put them in another post in this thread and I'll see if I can edit them into the original post. Kind regards, Adolf Junior.

Reply to Now With Pictures! The Importance Of Planning And Preparation in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks