Search the forum,

Discuss 'No More Ply' in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cgadmin23

Hi All,

Just about to start tiling my bathroom with marble tiles. The room needs to be tanked as it going to be a wetroom.

The room has a stud wall which is back to the frame and a solid wall which has been taken back to the brick.

I need to prepare the walls so that they can hold the weight of the marble tiles. I have already purchased a roll of Dura WP membrane to tank the walls once ready.

Having consulted a local tiling shop they have advised that 6mm 'No More Ply' can be applied to both walls and then tanked.

Does anyone have experience with this type of backer board?

Is 6mm strong enough to hold marble tiles?

Is there a particular kind of adhesive I should use?

Would I need to use additional fixings for the solid wall, or will the adhesive be enough?

Any advice on what I should do is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd personally use Hardie 500 for the wall as it's 12.5mm thick.
6mm for floors is fine so long as the substrate is rock solid.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Go for Hardie 500 for the walls (12.5mm thick)
NMP at 6mm will be fine so long as the substrate is rock solid

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as the guys have said, 6mm ok on floor but would normally use 12 mm Hardibacker on walls. Use white flexible adhesive for tiles. Gray may discolour the tiles

C

cgadmin23

Thanks Guys,

One last question: is adhesive alone strong enough to bond the board to a brick wall so that it can hold marble tiles, or do I need to screw it in place?

If I need to screw it in place are standard screws and plugs sufficient and how much spacing is required?

Thanks

Chris

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Adhesive should be enough but I usually screw as well (I use drywall screws into studs or plugs if into blockwork.
NMP has it's own screws and polyurathane glue

L

luckyman

whats generally better to tile to, plywood or plasterboard? If you had a choice what would you prefer working with

W

wetdec

Hi All,

Just about to start tiling my bathroom with marble tiles. The room needs to be tanked as it going to be a wetroom.

The room has a stud wall which is back to the frame and a solid wall which has been taken back to the brick.

I need to prepare the walls so that they can hold the weight of the marble tiles. I have already purchased a roll of Dura WP membrane to tank the walls once ready.

Having consulted a local tiling shop they have advised that 6mm 'No More Ply' can be applied to both walls and then tanked.

Does anyone have experience with this type of backer board?

Is 6mm strong enough to hold marble tiles?

Is there a particular kind of adhesive I should use?

Would I need to use additional fixings for the solid wall, or will the adhesive be enough?

Any advice on what I should do is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Why not plaster board the one wall and rough the other with sand and cement why you going the expensive route ??

S

sranners

Im not shore but if the tile is as heavy as he is making out he might be above the recomended wight for plaster board?????

also could he not have the brick renderd?

C

cgadmin23

Thanks for your anwsers guys, they're very much appreciated.

I didn't want to use plasterboard on the stud walls as I don't think they hold the weight of the marble tiles together with the membrane and all the tile adhesive.

On the solid wall I would consider rendering it with a sand and cement mix but I've tried anything like this before and don't feel confident that I'll get a straight enough finish. Would it be cheaper to get someone into do this for me? How long would I have to leave it to dry for?

As a result I thought I'd be able to fix a tile backer board without to much trouble and should get a reasonable finish. I know this is probably not the most cost effective way to do the job, but with such limited skills I think its my only option.

Regards

Chris

Reply to 'No More Ply' in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen