Currently reading:
'No More Ply'

Discuss 'No More Ply' in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cgadmin23

Hi All,

Just about to start tiling my bathroom with marble tiles. The room needs to be tanked as it going to be a wetroom.

The room has a stud wall which is back to the frame and a solid wall which has been taken back to the brick.

I need to prepare the walls so that they can hold the weight of the marble tiles. I have already purchased a roll of Dura WP membrane to tank the walls once ready.

Having consulted a local tiling shop they have advised that 6mm 'No More Ply' can be applied to both walls and then tanked.

Does anyone have experience with this type of backer board?

Is 6mm strong enough to hold marble tiles?

Is there a particular kind of adhesive I should use?

Would I need to use additional fixings for the solid wall, or will the adhesive be enough?

Any advice on what I should do is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

W

wetdec

Hi All,

Just about to start tiling my bathroom with marble tiles. The room needs to be tanked as it going to be a wetroom.

The room has a stud wall which is back to the frame and a solid wall which has been taken back to the brick.

I need to prepare the walls so that they can hold the weight of the marble tiles. I have already purchased a roll of Dura WP membrane to tank the walls once ready.

Having consulted a local tiling shop they have advised that 6mm 'No More Ply' can be applied to both walls and then tanked.

Does anyone have experience with this type of backer board?

Is 6mm strong enough to hold marble tiles?

Is there a particular kind of adhesive I should use?

Would I need to use additional fixings for the solid wall, or will the adhesive be enough?

Any advice on what I should do is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Why not plaster board the one wall and rough the other with sand and cement why you going the expensive route ??

C

cgadmin23

Thanks for your anwsers guys, they're very much appreciated.

I didn't want to use plasterboard on the stud walls as I don't think they hold the weight of the marble tiles together with the membrane and all the tile adhesive.

On the solid wall I would consider rendering it with a sand and cement mix but I've tried anything like this before and don't feel confident that I'll get a straight enough finish. Would it be cheaper to get someone into do this for me? How long would I have to leave it to dry for?

As a result I thought I'd be able to fix a tile backer board without to much trouble and should get a reasonable finish. I know this is probably not the most cost effective way to do the job, but with such limited skills I think its my only option.

Regards

Chris

F

FreeD

sand and cement needs 2 weeks to dry. You can then tile straignt onto it...make sure u get a smooth floated finish. Once dry sand and cement will hold all tiles...no need for tanking either.

No reason why u can't do it yourself if worried fix level battens to the wall at about 600 centres...render inbetween battens...once going off remove battens and fill.

PVA walls first couple of coats 50/50. water/PVA then 6:1 sand/cement + plasticiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FreeD

yep 6 sand 1 cement...you may want to go a bit stronger as Whitebeam says...just make sure you do the same ratio for every mix. I believe there is a render available which is fast setting and can be tiled on within 2 hours BAL Adhesives - Products - quickset render not sure of cost...do weber do one of these fast setting renders couldn't see one on there site?

take ure time with the rendering do it in sections and get them level as you go...end of the day does'nt matter if its patchy its all going to be covered with tiles!

H

Holohana

Hi guys,

Just to make sure your all upto speed Hardiebacker 500 will take 45kg of tile per m2.

No More Ply is circa 25kgm2. Same as skimmed plasterboard. Backer is likely enough to hold your large tiles but always check 1st.

When fixing backer 250 or 500 to render wall ensure a full coverage on the board with adhesive to fix to the wall and make sure you mechanically fixed as well.

Hope this helps boys,

Andy

S

Steveo205

I was in the same situation on a job before xmas with 1 tonne of Porcelanosa tiles. We did many tests and in the end opted to go with a good sand/cement render. Yes it took weeks to dry but it was worth it considering the weight!!!

I personally would go down the sand + cement route and have the walls trued up by a good plasterer who is able to apply the render plumb. It will help in the long run when installing the marble.

The sand + cement render will however rubbing the loose sand off lightly 1st then need 2 coats of a polymer stabilizer to bond the render surface together ready for tiling. That will just take a few hours to dry :thumbsup:.

IMO I would forget NMP or Backerboard and go the pro plastered render route.

What size are the marble tiles you are thinking of using? What is the total weight of your bathroom wall tiles?

Reply to 'No More Ply' in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.