Search the forum,

Discuss No More Ply and Wedi Alternatives in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Chris Churchill

Awesome - I did have a Google about for this since you previously pointed me into that direction, and also came to the same site, but - Bah! I don't have a trade account, nor have ability to create one, so am needing to try on doors I can access.
Thanks for the link though!

O

On one

Ditra won
But what if I were to say I picked these up for less than half that. Either way, point is not about the Ditra, its about what substrate to use to lay it on.
Schluter might be interested to know which retailer you got your materials from, for that price then.

O

On one

Why spend time taking up the perfectly good floorboards and replacing with WPB ply ....which you will have to cut outside in the open air and most likely have to fit noggins in the subfloor
?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chris Churchill

*Suggest you read original post (link above), their responses and this opening thread again.

I understand this is a controversial topic and agree there is always more than one way to do it. But given the original advice given, not just here on this forum, but elsewhere, please respect the fact that I have opted to remove the floorboards as I have been convinced that tiling ontop of timber is not a suitable foundation - fundamentally for the bounce and wood movement. I accept that overboarding is a good alternative, but as I have the luxury of being able to remove the floorboards, this is the better option from what I have been explained. Why have something adding potential movement when I can get rid of it and firm it up more?

Regarding where I bought my Ditra from - have you never bought something from a friend or accumulated bits over time? I was just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, but having it rolling about the house for the past few months isn't great on space.

Now, hopefully bringing this back to a diplomatic point - to reiterate my original post, its about what the appropriate structural boards to use accessible either online or within my area. I have no trade account and am no tradesman in the field so unless Jewson, Selco or [insert favorite trade store here] opens its doors to DIY enthusiasts, then Im out of luck for these venues. The only products I have found to be possible are the listed above.

I would love to hear about what products you all have used in place of NMP under the assumption that they are attached to the joists and not overboarding.

GIFA board does sound like an option, but again am having issues locating a non trade location to access it.

Hope this makes sense
Thanks

C

Chris Churchill

I didn't realize Jewsons was open to all. The GIFA board linked earlier only allowed trade accounts to access and cannot find a price to gauge any comparison. Interesting! Ill investigate further. Thank you.

In the meantime, Im still open to alternate suggestions aligned under the same criteria.

C

Chris Churchill

So what are you going to replace the floorboards with?

I was looking for NMP, but cant find it. Open to alternatives, which the only one I can find is from Topps Tiles. Other people suggest a good quality 18mm marine or WBP, but thats lower in my preference.

Reply to No More Ply and Wedi Alternatives in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen