Discuss Newer sealant on new sealant. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mattyg

Hiya guys

New wetroom has a small leak. Its taken 3 months to show but I think I've traced it to a small section of sealant around the floor/wall edge that has dragged when tooled and another small section down the edge of a tile.

At least I hope it is.

Anyhow. Do I have to remove ALL of the sealant before redoing?
I'm sure I've read that new sealant wont bond to old sealant. If so how far do I need to go. All around the room and up the wall????

Edit: Old/new sealant is Mapei Mapersil AC

Cheers
Matt

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't it tanked before being tiled? It shouldn't matter if the sealant 'has failed' because it isn't really there to create a water tight job. It should be tanked, then tiled, then the sealant is just there on internal corners to deal with flex and expansion etc, grout would crack and look poor quality if it did.

It might be the case that it was just being used a bit longer than normal, and actually, it's leaking after most uses, but disperses after short bursts of use.

If that's the case, it's probably causing damage behind the tiling even when it's not showing through elsewhere.

If you think more sealant is the way to go, strip to the corner or whatever and then reseal the whole run. Don't go over it as is.

But if you can show us some photo's we might be able to help investigate a bit more.

What was it tiled with?
Was it tanked? If so, what with?

Reply to Newer sealant on new sealant. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks