Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss newbie, 600x300 wall tiling in ensuite in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

El Kabong!

Hi,

Great forum :)

I have only ever helped with tiling before.... 45x45 floor tiles.

I am now about to tile my ensuite.

I have 600x600 porcelain floor tiles. I think I will be OK with this.

I have matching 600x300 wall tiles and I am a bit worried.

From browsing topics I have more or less decided not to do a brick pattern, and to just lay in straight vertical lines.

However, I'm not sure about surface prep.

I had to strip the room down to nothing. I am just about to put the plasterboard back on the studs. It is green "water resistant" and not that thick really, but very very heavy. I am just using drywall nails to tap it in.

Will this be enough for 600x300 porcelain tiles????

The tile I am using was not overly cheap. It is the Atlas Concorde Glow the technical specs can be found here:
Broken Link Removed

Perhaps I should be using a different type of board, or different method of attaching it????

I have many many other questions but let's take things slowly....

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

El Kabong!

my own personal editor too.... neato thanks.

i need help getting this right. I ballsed up a radiator and ended up having to replace 15 of them and this room has been out of action for 2 months now :)

R

Rich

How thick is the plasterboard? If you screw it back to the studs correctly then it should be fine.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi kabong,i would screw the plasterboard onto the studs

i assume its 12.5mm thick...not sure you actually get m resis in 9mm anyways

T

tiler bob

hi mate , i would say take your time and dont rush it , make sure the walls are nice n flat and most importantly enjoy what you do .

T

Time's Ran Out

hi mate , i would say take your time and dont rush it , make sure the walls are nice n flat and most importantly enjoy what you do .

That sound's like the best advice I've heard on here for a while:hurray:

:welcome:El Kabong

W

White Room

Your'll find moisture resistant plasterboard come in at 12.5mm and needs screwing with a course thread to stud work..

E

El Kabong!

Hi, OK so it is 12.5mm and I will get herself to pick up some screws today.

The stuff is 8*4 and is REALLY heavy. I cannot move an 8*4 by myself. I am a bit weedy but it is a large piece.

So, I have resorted to cutting them in half. I was going to them fix up the gaps. I know this is probably going to defeat the purpose of the waterproofing but if the horizontal join is above 4 foot high then I guess it will not matter too much, where it counts... in the shower area.

Any thoughts?

E

El Kabong!

Oh I will take my time don't worry about that!

This started off as a small shower leak. I resealed it but that didn't work. So I took up the floor covering (some wierd fake wood lino strips on MDF(!) and then I had to take the shower tray out and then all the tiles had to come down as the plasterboard was sodden. So I stripped the room.

I am doing all this myself and don't have a clue. I drained the rad system to remove the rad in the ensuite. I put service valves on the entry to the rad for this room and filled the system back up but I couldn't bleed most of my other rads as the bleed valves were worn down... so I replaced 16 rads around the house. But the rads I bought were 3cm longer or slightly shorter than the ones in there (rubbish yokes). So I had to sort the pipework at one end of each rad. Then, the rad support brackets were in different places so for alot of them I had to cut holes in the wall and put in new supports. Then my heating pump broke so I replaced that. Then I needed a new circuit board in the boiler.

So now that is all fixed I am back to the ensuite!!!!!

R

Rich

My god. You have been having fun havnt you. Fair play :thumbsup:

Really you want as few joins in the plasterboard as possible.

E

El Kabong!

Hi all,

I still haven't started this job as I am scared to make a mess of it and have had other projects to keep me busy.

But I think I am going to have to tackle it over the summer...

So I have a small upstairs ensuite, floor is about 3x2m. Quadrant shower tray, toiler, floating sink.

I cannot decide whether to do the walls or floor first.

It seems to me that I should do the floor first as I could tile under the shower tray and have a neat finish.
I would not enjoy having to cut tiles around a quadrant tray.

But my parents just had a company in doing theirs and they said do the walls first, and I can see that on here alot to.

Are the walls done first for the following reasons?

- so that when the floor tiles are laid up against the walls, the height of the adhesive+tile will cover any unevenness? But surely the opposite will be the same, you might see a funny edge cut on the floor tiles?

- because the shower tray has to go in due to waste access issues? My plan is to
1) place the shower tray in position
2) take up some flooring to give access
3) hand tighten the waste trap into position and hook up the outflow pipe to the existing pipe (within the ceiling space below)..
4) when I'm happy it is all in position, take away the tray. Make good the floor. Put down the WPB. Cut hole in ply for waste hole.
5) Tile the floor, cuting hole in one tile for waste hole
6) Fit the shower tray. I'm pretty sure I have a McAlpine top fit/thingy

Help!

Reply to newbie, 600x300 wall tiling in ensuite in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks