Search the forum,

Discuss negative feedback in the Tile Retail Independent Feedback area at TilersForums.com.

R

rich83

I just read a post from guy wanting to shadow a tiler,and in return would offer free labour.I am fully aware initially he would be useless.but the reply he got was why would someone teach you the ropes and then have more competition for work.I'm pretty sure the guy didn't say he wanted to be self employed,he may of hoped for a job out of it.I just thought the comments where unhelpful.I mean everyone needs a leg up don't they.some people are loyal and honest,granted there are alot off tools around but still...I'm in a similar boat to him, I'm wanting to do as many hours with a tiler for free, as I can around a part time evening job.and i probably would do so for at least 3 months.and I most certainly do not want to be self employed. Have any of you guys took someone on and had a good experience.looking for a glimmer of hope here people.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
the guy started a thread, then never heard from him again, he said he wanted to shadow a tiler, but works full time and cant give up his job due to family commitments ....so hows he going to shadow a tiler.?

ive had many trainees with me, most don't seem to last a week, with tiling you cant learn it all in one day...or week or month, when I started I spent best part of a year just grout, and mixing adhesive......how much time have you got to give..?, and like dean said if you do succeed then your going to take work off the person that trained you , not very good when some are still scratching round for work...

R

rich83

I appreciate you're reply I'd aim to give at least 3 full days,but if possible 4-5.I would be more than happy to grout,etc.tiling is about knowledge.as opposed to plastering which is predominantly repetition.I surprised you've had bad luck in past some people don't see an opportunity until its too late.I say I'd do 3 months,but even after that I would work for way less than nmw ,or maybe even free .youre concern is valid,but its the same in all professions,but I would most deffinetly not stab someone in the back,who's given their time
and knowledge. Sod being self employed,I'd rather be an employee any day

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I appreciate you're reply I'd aim to give at least 3 full days,but if possible 4-5.I would be more than happy to grout,etc.tiling is about knowledge.as opposed to plastering which is predominantly repetition.I surprised you've had bad luck in past some people don't see an opportunity until its too late.I say I'd do 3 months,but even after that I would work for way less than nmw ,or maybe even free .youre concern is valid,but its the same in all professions,but I would most deffinetly not stab someone in the back,who's given their time
and knowledge. Sod being self employed,I'd rather be an employee any day

Exbloodycuse me pal,plastering is not repetition,there are many many different aspects of plastering,most plasterers nowadays I would call 'skimmers' now that repetition.
Cheeky bugger :(

R

rich83

There may be many different aspects,I know and have known many,all they do is skim.for years on end.of course there can be more to it,but every one I no hasn't done any moulding work since college,skim skim skim,all day long and one of them is a foreman for rg carter

R

rich83

Yes plastering is a skill,but tiling is way more involved,its a trade that requires continuous learning.one you learn to skim,screed,render you can basicly live off those skills.a tiler will probably be expected to no all about every type of tile,substrate,treatment,how to plumb,its way more technical

Reply to negative feedback in the Tile Retail Independent Feedback area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen