Currently reading:
My post on 5 day courses.

Search the forum,

Discuss My post on 5 day courses. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I see he's had a ***** in another thread! I did a 2 week course 5 years ago now, and looking back it was a good starting point but, probably 5% of my tiling knowledge came from it. Most of the technical stuff I know has come from this forum, anyone who is going to rely on a 5 day course to make a career from will quickly vanish from the trade, so nothing to worry about Phil.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPad

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Changed to "TF Arms Member". :)

Totally fine that post was Phil.

We have a bunch of plumbers and sparks who have exactly the same view about their trades who never manage to word it well at all and it does start a craze off of 'time-served' v 'newbies'. Though your post is perfectly put and rings true to all types. It totally makes sense.

Fair play.

P

Peter

Good post Phil.

Anyone who thinks they're ready for tiling bathrooms solo after a two week course and be able to produce the same finish of an experienced tiler is putting a bit too much faith in the course. :lol:

Can remember how I used to get very annoyed and disheartened when I was an apprentice and it was two years before I was allowed to stick a tile. Looking back on it, it was the right way as I had to master mixing buckets, then cutting, then grouting, then spreading etc whilst watching the tilers the whole time before I was ever allowed to lay a tile. It meant building your skills right from the bottom so that when the time came for you to fix tiles, you had been observing and asking questions for so long that you had a better idea of layouts, fixing techniques and how to get out of a problem.

Wouldn't fancy letting someone loose on my house that had only a few hours of tiling 6x6 diaonal on plasterboard under his belt.

Reply to My post on 5 day courses. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.