Discuss Mosaics on floor.. flatness! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

william hughes

Ive been doing my bathroom and i'm ready to tile the floor. Im planning to put down small white marble hexagonal mosaics that come in standard sheets.

I put down mapei WP200 as a decoupler and waterproofer first. in doing this, and squeezing out air bubbles between the membrane and the adhesive (keraquick) the floor is now not completely flat, there is one or two and even three mm deviation from flat across a 120cm level.

I was nervous about the mosaics before (especially getting them flat). I was wondering whether any of you guys had any tips? i was planning on using keraquick mixed with latex plus and sealing the tiles before.

Cheers!!

T

Tilerdurden

Ive been doing my bathroom and i'm ready to tile the floor. Im planning to put down small white marble hexagonal mosaics that come in standard sheets.

I put down mapei WP200 as a decoupler and waterproofer first. in doing this, and squeezing out air bubbles between the membrane and the adhesive (keraquick) the floor is now not completely flat, there is one or two and even three mm deviation from flat across a 120cm level.

I was nervous about the mosaics before (especially getting them flat). I was wondering whether any of you guys had any tips? i was planning on using keraquick mixed with latex plus and sealing the tiles before.

Cheers!!

Definitely seal prior to install mate. And bal max flex fibre is a good shout. Guessing it's timber sub floor?

W

william hughes

yeah 8x2 joists with 1" marine ply then no more ply and some renovation screed as the floor wasnt level. but now its not perfectly flat. was wondering whether a backer mesh would help?

F

Flintstone

Get some leveller on it, in a bathroom
You shouldn't need much for small descrepencies, but be careful not to make it worse than it already is

W

william hughes

You shouldn't need much for small descrepencies, but be careful not to make it worse than it already is

I already levelled it out its just that sticking the membrane down ontop of the renovation screed its made it less level

W

william hughes

would it be possible to level it out with a thin skim of the adhesive, wait for it to go off a bit then carry on as normal?

W

william hughes

Sounds like something is a miss if sticking a 1mm Matt down has made it 3mm out of level :D

Its on a bed of adhesive and i used a 3mm notched trowel. then squishing air bubbles moved the addy around under the mat. total nightmare

T

Tilerdurden

Its on a bed of adhesive and i used a 3mm notched trowel. then squishing air bubbles moved the addy around under the mat. total nightmare

I always use a large flooring trowel like a plasterers trowel when laying mats. Did you use this technique for smoothing mat out?

W

william hughes

I always use a large flooring trowel like a plasterers trowel when laying mats. Did you use this technique for smoothing mat out?

yeah i did then notched it. then once it was down went over it again the the flat trowel. to be honest found putting the mat down a pig. trapped air etc
partly why now seeking reassurance before the mosaics. cheers for the advice guys

Last edited by a moderator:
W

william hughes

Notched first lay mat then smooth with flat trowel?

flat trowel to put the addy down, notched, laid mat, then smoothed over the mat with flat again. didnt find it that easy tho! had to do some persistent air bubble moving action at times with hands

T

Tilerdurden

You don't really need to apply much pressure when smoothing mate. As long as your addy was combed out properly with notch. Any spots of build up in addy can put you off. But as local tiler said remedy with straight edge and addy.

Reply to Mosaics on floor.. flatness! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks