Currently reading:
mark up on materials

Search the forum,

Discuss mark up on materials in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

In this tough time trying to get work do you all try and make a bit of money on all your materials, for example if you get a bag of grout for 7 quid do you charge the customer 8,9 or 10 quid for it? Or do you just give it the customer at your price?

Just be intrested to see what others do, i usually try and make a little on some things, you do have to go and get the stuff after all.

Look forward to any responses, cheers.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Not sure if this would work now but we used to send the customer into the shop to get a price, and they'd be quoted retail price. And we'd not only charge full price labour, we'd often get the materials trade and charge full price to the customer. If they were regular customers we'd go halves. We were VAT registered so it we could also claim the vat back but we'd take a hit on competing on price when ours included VAT. So it's swings and roundabouts.

We used to also buy bulk underfloor heating and on those jobs we made a killing on the install, the supply direct of heating, and the supply via a trade retail outlet for the rest of the materials. And we used to get a lot of conservatory jobs all over the country for that. In summer we'd book bathrooms in for the winter (the 9 months of winter we have that is so pretty flexible) but the three main sunny months when conservatories go up we used to pretty much only try to do them.

You can make your business work differently to competition doing this sort of stuff and changing the business model slightly. And if you do the right thing your customers love it, get a nice job at a fair price, and you make a nice income out of it.

Though that was some time ago. Pretty sure the model would still work. But perhaps the pricing would need to be factored in with current issues such as more tilers aiming low these days to get work, and more tilers quoting, that sort of thing.

But you don't always have to give trade prices to your customers, of course.

S

steveboy

I have been wondering the same thing.

On one hand,,, do you go to a shop and say I want to buy this carton of milk but I only want to pay the price you paid for it?? I bet you dont... so why should we let people buy our materials from us to do there job at our trade price??

I'm sure your local garage would not fix your car/van and only charge you there trade price for the parts supplied, it would be RRP prices + Labour.

But not all traders in my area see my point, so I have to pass on my discount to get the work...

I have a list of all the most popular materials needed with RRP prices & my trade prices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to mark up on materials in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.