Discuss Marble Floor Tiles Problem... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Good evening from Grand Cayman,

First of all let me express my apologies for lack of activity and updates. This hotel has literally taken over my life due to the deadlines that have been thrust upon us.

For asking this question and request for help, I will endeavor to give a decent update to the project as we have just hit the 10th floor and completed 44,200m2 of floor tile. Wall tiling is on the 9th so I'm nearly there and crossing over to managing the spa install.

However, my call for help is down to a customer who has an issue with her tiles that I have never come across before.

The house was pretty run down and the concrete base was massively out of level and the rectification work to this was to sand cement screed the slab and then install a marble tile. I have no idea if any decoupler was installed before hand. I will know more tomorrow.

What is happening to a very few select tiles is almost a crazing, a bubbling up if you will from the veins of the marble. This appears to be breaking down the highly polished surface and leaving a rough, almost chemical burned surface before it eventually eats away at itself and leaves a little loose marble.
On some tiles there is what appears to be an orange peel feeling and underneath the rug, which is where the cleaner seems to not mop (with water, no other cleaning products at all, so they say).
On others there is a residue which can be rubbed off with a scotch pad before returning over the course of a few days under the rug.

I am unsure where the marble was imported from, I am guessing a firm in Miami as that is where most of the material gets delivered from, so it makes sense to purchase from tile/slab suppliers here.

The only other information I can give you is that the house is next to a canal and that the plumber flooded the whole floor at one point during the install. At which point of the install I am don't know.
I can also say that the tiles that are affected in one certain area are showing dark patches which to me suggests water ingress.

I can only assume that something from the sub-base is rising to the top and causing this issue. No tiles have been removed to check what is happening below it as they do not have any attic stock.
I do know that the soil in Grand Cayman has a high lime content...pretty difficult to grow anything, although my basil plant thrived for some reason.

At this moment in time all I can provide is images of the best my phone could dispense. As for the image under the table and chairs area I am truly baffled. The customers initial reaction to the wood being a contributor was a massive no.

Thank you for any replies.

Cam

2016-04-14 15.06.41.jpg 2016-04-14 15.08.41.jpg 2016-04-14 15.09.08.jpg 2016-04-14 15.10.16.jpg 2016-04-14 15.11.24.jpg 2016-04-14 15.11.30.jpg 2016-04-14 15.14.05.jpg

Q

Qwerty

Great to hear from you again cam. Very strange re the marble, never seen that before myself. I'm sure one of the other lads will have an idea

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi cam, could be a mild spalling effect in some areas,most likely moisture related, salt traces and evaporating moisture migrating from beneath as these form mineral salts this can expand the stone through and at the face and de laminate, can effect if the tiles are sealed before all moisture is released before sealing, have these been sealed? These will require mechanical finishing , but if the contamination is deep, more likely replacement to match the factory finish or surrounding stones.

The last picture, was that dark mark under that furniture leg, if furniture stain a stripping agent or stain remover to remove . Or are there more of these in other areas

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

The last thing that i noticed was the dark patches around the affected tiles which led me to believe this is moisture related. The temp here never drops below 23 during the evening, during the day its can hit 33 and the humidity can almost feel like me mother just asked me to check on the christmas turkey for a baste. Air conditioning must also be a variable added to the pot, due to the cost of services over here.

I can only assume the tiles were sealed, without going into too much detail, the finish is immaculate. These boys know their stone as this is the main product customers want on island. Sealing, protection and informing the customer is part and parcel of the service that is provided.
The local tile shop stocks fila, lithofin amongst other brands which all provide a service to the need of the specific stone.

I have suggested that one tile be removed and an identical tile with highly polished finish be cut to size and replaced once any moisture test is conducted.

The last picture shows the staining on the tile in the same colour that the legs have. Customer was quick to defer the possibility it has anything to do with it. I'll take that one on the chin until I have any more opinions.
The companies guy whom conducted a moisture test said that it is most certainly an environmental issue. Unsure if there is any dpm below the slab, this is going to be a long and lengthy process to decipher exactly what is happening.

thanks for the reply bob

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Good luck with investigations, possible furniture stain, could try a mildew remover product , 2-10 min application can sometimes remove these if the solvent stripper fails.
Cheers,

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Gary the concrete slab was already there and we have no information on it. As for the sand I'm only going to be able to assume it was what we are using up at the hotel which is a sharp sand.

Reply to Marble Floor Tiles Problem... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks