Search the forum,

Discuss Mapei Technical Support in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did a couple of small jobs - relaying some quarry tiles and a small bathroom floor using a bag of this stuff (purchased from my local Tile Giant store-
file_47_2.jpg

Used the stuff a number of times and it's fine if you don't need the extra flexibility Keraquick provides. On these 2 particular jobs the stuff didn't go off untill the following day! The first job was removing and relaying some quarry tiles, only needed to break into this particular bag for the last couple of tiles and noticed that those 2 were still shifting after about 3 hours (rest were rock solid - fixed with a different bag of the same stuff), so couldn't grout and arranged to finish off the next day. Didn't really think too much about it as it was very local and I had nothing on the next day.
I remember on the bathroom floor job I used this same bag and fixed the tiles in the morning and went for a pub lunch for a couple of hours. Returned, armed with my grout and silicone, to find the tiles could be moved about as if they'd just that second been layed. In the end I turned the heating up to max and put a portable heater in the room as I really needed to get finished as I was starting another job the next day. The customer was a Barrister and when he got back from work in a smart suit the heat in his flat must have slapped him in the face as he disappeared into his bedroom and reappeared in just a pair of Bumuda shorts! :lol: Joking aside, I hung on till 7 in the evening but even in that heat and 7 hours they showed no signs of going off. Standard set in those conditions would have gone off quicker. So had to travel all that way (40 mile round trip) just to grout up and silicone the following day and explain to my next customer that I would be a day late.
Next time I was in my TG store I gave them the remainder of the bag and told them the trouble with it. The junior member of staff was nice as always and said he'd get onto Mapei. Weeks later the TG manager calls me to find out exactly what I had used the adhesive on (tile type, substrate etc...) apparently Mapei's first response was that I had mixed it incorrectly:mad2:
Popped into TG this morning for some gear and the junior staff member asked if I'd got a letter from Mapei, I hadn't. They had and it stated they had tested it and found it to be a dodgy bag and that it took 12 hours to set. It also went on to say that 12 hours is acceptable and within the necessary criteria.
Nice one Mapei!!

Conversely I had a call from a Weber Rep today telling me about a new product line they are about to introduce to the Nottingham area - a standard set, thick bed flexy that can go on up to 25mm in one hit with zero shrinkage. I told him that I could really do with some of that on the job I'm on at the moment so he took the address of the house I'm working at and told me he'll drop it off first thing Monday.
I've always praised Mapei and Weber as that's all I use and it's all good stuff but I shan't be touching Mapei's gear again on principle.

Rant over

G

Gazzer

Now and again these things happen, I had an issue recently with the new Weber grout....never got any more from them to why the grout hadnt set after over 24 hours.

B

bugs183

If you've always used a manufacturer and been happy with them it seems a bit extreme to bin them over over a duff bag of adhesive.
Sometimes people don't get back in touch, i know it's their job, but we don't always return calls or get the quotes in we promised.
Now if a big floor failed and they showed no interest, or other products proved to be getting unsatisfactory then it would sense to bin them.

Reaction score
Hmmm that's the first bad word I've heard about mapei on here as they are really bigged up on the furom I don't use there stuff only because there is nt a tile giant in Liverpool near me but as sir ramic said they all have problems now and again

B

bugs183

Tobins. Get online and look up Lilley Tile and Stone.
Speak to Stuart or Email him, he's very helpful. They sell Mapei at an incredible price, and it gets delivered to where ever you like. My local Mapei dealer, cannot touch them on price.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Of course they all have problems now and again but it's how they deal with it that counts.
They have my contact details but failed to get in touch with me and they also believe that a 12 hour set
time is acceptable for a rapid set!!
It should make no difference to them Bugs as to how big the job was (yes it would make a difference to me)

B

bugs183

I've not used huge amounts of Keraflex, but i tiled a kitchen with Travertine and Keraflex white onto Dural matting, and the next day it was fine to walk on.

B

bugs183

I'd phone them up, and chase the answer then.
I've not used Proflex, but you are right their thinking is a bit odd regarding the setting time.

Reply to Mapei Technical Support in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen