Search the forum,

Discuss Making the jump from domestic to commercial. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

DanEwen

TF
Reaction score
I think the private or self builds are best I ll do big tiling jobs I did a 400 m2 pool in 8 weeks plus private jobs on my own 9 years ago nearly killed me but good experience lol older u get easier u want it lol staff are pain in the doings too !!!!!

This is something I personally I would love to do with an apprentice. I love doing the higher end spec tiling. The contract stuff I would ideally like to put lads on. I have a training day with Schulter at the end of the month about leaning how to use all there new products.

Thanks for your input mate

DanEwen

TF
Reaction score
Take on and train up an apprentice, learn him how to grout first so that you can just keep tiling ahead of him. He will be as good as the person that trains him and sure there are still apprenticeship schemes to help cover his wages.

Could you point me in the right direction about this funding for wages ? I have found information about funding for training but not wages.

Thanks

B

Blunt Tool

Could you point me in the right direction about this funding for wages ? I have found information about funding for training but not wages.

Thanks
Look into nhbc apprenticeship schemes and local apprenticeship schemes, your local job centre will point you in the right direction.

D

Dumbo

Don't forget you will be involved in paying your subby's tax and also if you are doing all this work it is not going to take you long to cross the vat threshold . So you will be doing quarterly vat returns .

DanEwen

TF
Reaction score
Don't forget you will be involved in paying your subby's tax and also if you are doing all this work it is not going to take you long to cross the vat threshold . So you will be doing quarterly vat returns .

Thanks jcrtiling. I have already spoke to my accountant about the vat situation. As for the subby’s tax if they are self employed is it not up to them to pay tax ? Some company’s I work for pay my tax (cis payments) others don’t I just pay it. Would it not be the same ?
Thanks

DanEwen

TF
Reaction score
On a side note is it worth joining the tta? Had mixed reviews from both tilers and customers that have used the tta. Cheers

D

Dumbo

Thanks jcrtiling. I have already spoke to my accountant about the vat situation. As for the subby’s tax if they are self employed is it not up to them to pay tax ? Some company’s I work for pay my tax (cis payments) others don’t I just pay it. Would it not be the same ?
Thanks
Strictly speaking if you are a main contractor employing sub contractors it is up to you to pay their tax contributions unless they earn over a certain amount they can apply to make their own contributions . An exception to this would be if they were tiling your offices for instance , i don't know why but this wouldn't apply .

D

Dumbo

On a side note is it worth joining the tta? Had mixed reviews from both tilers and customers that have used the tta. Cheers
You would have to look into that to see what they have to offer you to see wether you think it's worth it .

DanEwen

TF
Reaction score
Strictly speaking if you are a main contractor employing sub contractors it is up to you to pay their tax contributions unless they earn over a certain amount they can apply to make their own contributions . An exception to this would be if they were tiling your offices for instance , i don't know why but this wouldn't apply .

Ok that’s something I will look into. Thanks for the advice.

T

Time's Ran Out

One word Carrillion !
That’s all you need to know about going that next steps.
When they stop paying you and your looking out your office window wondering who is going to be knocking on your door today , remember it was you not your family that wanted the stress, the debt, the bailiffs...
How much money do you want to earn - £50/60k pa is achievable on your own.
I knocked back 62 duplex accommodation in Jesmond and I still do work for that company. You must always be in control of your own future because these developers couldn’t give a toss about you.

Reply to Making the jump from domestic to commercial. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen