Currently reading:
Loose Floor tiles :( New Floor

Discuss Loose Floor tiles :( New Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

got an issue with 2 bathrooms I've just had tiled. So the issue is with the floor tiles which happen to be the same ones I have on the wall and are fine. The issue is that the tiles in both bathrooms have become loose and the grout has started to come away. Now the tiler has been round twice to rectify the issue but it's still there. I've spoken other tilers who I've asked to come round to fix the issue and some have suggested that the floor which was made up of cement board screwed to the joists needed a primer before the tiles went on and the other guy saying that he would have gone with ply. The cement board that was used looked like some generic board which was really heavy and had some sort of semi shiny covering on both sides. The builder who prepared the floor with the cement board said he screwed it down well and the adhesive used was UltraTile Proflex SP+ES bagged.

Any advice?

T

Time's Ran Out

As a Tiler I want to prepare the substrate prior to tiling. That means adhesive and mechanical fixing of cement boards ( Hardie not shiney boards) taped joints and flexible adhesive. Now you have to determine who is responsible - builder/tiler.
Certainly don’t agree with your ‘tilers’ choices of preparation, Hardie doesn’t need priming and Plywood is not suitable as a finished over boarding material.

H

hmtiling

I think the board that was put down was a generic hardiebacker board and it was supplied by the builders merchant. All I remember is that you cut it the same way as plasterboard with a Stanley knife. The builder is happy to pay for the works but I just want to be sure, this time it's done right.

Thanks
Cut with a Stanley knife sounds like coated xps, which topps say on their website can go direct to joist. It cannot and will fail. You need to find out exactly what thus stuff is

I think you guys might be right, looking at pics on the web it did look like NMP.

So if the NMP wasn't primed beforehand, would this be the reason for them becoming loose? The builder says it's not down to movement as he screwed the board down really well. Really strange that it's happened in 2 bathrooms on different levels. What would be your advice before the tiles are put down? primer and same brand adhesive or would you suggest something else?

D

Dumbo

I think you guys might be right, looking at pics on the web it did look like NMP.

So if the NMP wasn't primed beforehand, would this be the reason for them becoming loose? The builder says it's not down to movement as he screwed the board down really well. Really strange that it's happened in 2 bathrooms on different levels. What would be your advice before the tiles are put down? primer and same brand adhesive or would you suggest something else?
Can you just clarify is your cement board (If that is what it is ) fixed directly to the joists with no floor board underneath or is it fixed to the joists through the floor boards .

W

Waluigi

The problem with overboarding is that sometimes people do it just to tick the box- overboarded.

Before overboarding the existing floor needs to be checked throughout to see how stable it is. How much deflection and mainly how well screwed down it is. Also when overboarding chipboard, the overhang of the chipboard needs to be checked. Some floors just aren’t suitable for overboarding.

Reply to Loose Floor tiles :( New Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which is very thick concrete. He wants electric underfloor heating but I'm concerned he'll lose too much...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement