Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for some general advice. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Funky Welder

It's early day's yet however I'm checking things out regarding learning a new trade. I served my time as a welder however I'd like to do something new sticking with a trade discipline. Maybe tiling although I'm looking at other trades too such as Plasterer and Joiner.

Looking at the paid courses, I'm sceptical that a 4 week course would enable me to work as a tiler to such an extent that I can work for myself. I certainly couldn't weld to a great standard in such as short space of time. How do people find life after such a course?

I have found that my local college does a SVQ 2 & 3 in Wall & Floor Tiling over two years which is perfect. However it's basically apprenticeship based and i'm 25 now, too old. What I'm wondering is if I done an intensive course somewhere and started up for myself doing basic jobs, could I enroll myself on that course? Sort of serve my time again.

I'm not looking to take over the world or anything, got a young family now and can't travel for the money like most welders. Just pondering all of this. Cheers for any input.

Gav

Last edited by a moderator:
S

starmsy

Hi gav! i myself was in the same situation and was unsure about the length of a course, and was unsure that such a short would enable me to work for myself.
i did a 2 week course at diamond and am now out working for myself. provided you have got good common sense and the desire to learn you should be fine. Tiling is what it is learn the basic's and build on them. the trade is not like plumbing or sparks where there are many aspects, it is what it is, i choose tiling because start up costs are low and to start you can work out the back of your car!(dont get me wrong you cant learn it all in such a short time and at first you will be slow, but you do get quicker) hope this heps
lee.:thumbsup:

F

Funky Welder

Hi gav! i myself was in the same situation and was unsure about the length of a course, and was unsure that such a short would enable me to work for myself.
i did a 2 week course at diamond and am now out working for myself. provided you have got good common sense and the desire to learn you should be fine. Tiling is what it is learn the basic's and build on them. the trade is not like plumbing or sparks where there are many aspects, it is what it is, i choose tiling because start up costs are low and to start you can work out the back of your car!(dont get me wrong you cant learn it all in such a short time and at first you will be slow, but you do get quicker) hope this heps
lee.:thumbsup:

Cheers for the reply.

I reckon I could turn my hand at tiling as I do a practical hands on trade now however I'm well aware I know he haw about it right now.

I'd be very interested in getting my level 2 and 3 SVQ's to remedy this.

S

starmsy

i was again the same i did driveways so i had already worked on the tools. There were people at the centre when i was there who had never held a level or a tape. they found the first week quiet hard, but they still done ok, everybodys diffrent and so are the tiling courses!

D

doug boardley

Gav, the intensive short courses will teach you the very basics of tiling, you'll certainly not be suitably prepared to make a living self employed after completing such a course. I suppose it all boils down to how much you're prepared to sacrifice to learn a new trade. I've been tiling (and plastering and other construction related trades) for close on thirty years now, and everyday is a school day, you're never to old to learn new things:thumbsup:

F

Funky Welder

Gav, the intensive short courses will teach you the very basics of tiling, you'll certainly not be suitably prepared to make a living self employed after completing such a course. I suppose it all boils down to how much you're prepared to sacrifice to learn a new trade. I've been tiling (and plastering and other construction related trades) for close on thirty years now, and everyday is a school day, you're never to old to learn new things:thumbsup:

How do I go about that? Working with a tiler for a few years?

O

Onlinetiler

So much to learn Gav - there's no way you could do a couple of weeks in a mocked up bathroom setting in a warehouse and then expect to take on the business. I've come across guys that have done that in the past and walked off halfway through their second job.

Courses are a good start - they'll teach you the basics but you need to learn on the tools with a larger company where you can pick up real world experience and you should be thinking years not months. Although you won't earn as much as being on your own the benefit of doing that is you'll have a pretty much guaranteed flow of work from the off if you get in with a good organisation.

Something to consider seriously is that if you get it wrong when you're tiling it can cost a lot of money to put right, so having an experienced set of eyes over your shoulder for a period is always helpful.

Good luck whatever you take on.

Reaction score
Gav, alot of good advice already here about the benefits of working for an established tiling company... if only the real world was that easy. Finding work in this economic climate with an established company may prove very hard to find.

Forget looking for a 2 week course. There are so many different aspects you need to cover - 2 weeks will teach you planning and prep, cutting, fixing and grouting ceramic tiles on walls (and if you're a quick learner some floors too). You will cover the core basics - but nothing more.

The better tiling centres will offer 6-8 weeks training, and cover use of different materials, fixing different tile types (porcelain, mosaics, natural stone), some information on sub-strata prep, use of different fixing and cutting products, with some input on special topics like tanking systems, under floor heating, and even a bit of plastering. You will also get the opportunity to fix a whole bathroom and kitchen - to gain confidence applying the skills you are learning on bigger more realistic projects.

Ultimately this will give you the foundation to start working to achieve your NVQ2.

If you then want to go it alone, start with family and friends tiling projects - they will probably be a lot more understanding when you make a few mistakes (and you will), and take a long time to complete your first few projects. When you are ready to start taking on commercial work - it does not pay well - if you cannot tile a simple 20 sq m bathroom in 2 days you will struggle to earn enough income to live on until your speed improves - but always go for quality before speed - everyone can see a poor tiling job - they soon forget how long you take to achieve it.

You may have to pay extra for your NVQ assesments on site, and be prepared for a lot of extra work preparing a portfolio of your work to prove your abilities.

I fully appreciate that there are many very experienced tilers who served an apprenticeship (often for little or no money) over many years - but this country has changed and good quality tilers are in high demand so dont be put off by going it alone after training. It is a difficult route, so be sure you have the enthusiasm to do the extra necessary to get qualified.

Good luck to you. :welcome:

F

Funky Welder

Update.

Spoke to a mate of mine who runs his own building company. He's joined forcces with other small businesses forming a large company with more work.

Long story short he's offered me a start to train me up in most building skills like tiling, plastering and joinery. I'll be the company welder and share my skills with others.

Early days yet.

Reply to Looking for some general advice. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen