Search the forum,

Discuss Local College Course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peadee

Hello all,

It's me again. I'll make a decision one day and go ahead with this tiling thing but the more I dig the more questions I get popping up in my mind. Any way, here's my latest one.
After recieving lots of great advice and encouragement from my previous posts, I picked up on one particular "nugget" of advice. I can't remember who gave this "nugget" so apologies in advance for not mentioning you. I was looking for the best way to learn and wether I should pimp myselt out to a tiler for free in order to learn, and somebody suggested checking out local tech colleges. Well I've done just that and guess what? They do 2 courses in tiling! It's at The Manchester College of Building (who'd 'o' thowt it, a building gollege doing tiling courses! doh!). They do a 1 year full time course that gives an NVQ level 2 at the end but I can't attend this cos I've got to be earning money and I think it's aimed at young folk. They also do a wall and floor tiling course over 10 weeks, one 3hr session a week in the evening and this is open to anybody. This is aimed at people like me that have a certain amount of experience in things DIY-ish/Builder-ish that can pick stuff up quicker than a prepubescent spotty hoody that's only there cos his Dad has made him go. Have any of you done a course similar to this in a proper college or indeed, done the Manchester one. What was the course like and would you recommend it?:book:

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faithhealer

How much is this course and what do you tile in a 3 hr session? Do they do the business side as well,

P

peadee

Here's what I found out today.
The course is £350 and they told me the standard that is taught is good and would allow me to take on work as a tiler. They didn't try to bull me with all the baloney that I keep hearing elsewhere. I mean, I don't know the ins and outs of the tiling game but I do know a bull****ter when I come across one. They were straight up, it's basic wall and floor tiling taught to a good standard by a proper educational establishment (it's actually a campus, the place is big). I grew up 10 mins from the place, my brother did his engineering aprenticeship there in 1981/3 and I have now learnt that a friend I grew up with (not seen him for a long time now) is a teacher there, he teaches the bricklayers. The current courses are chock a block so I can't get on them. There is a chance of getting on one in 8 weeks but I have to wait for confirmation at the end of the week. I feel so much more confident about this course because I know the long standing history of the place. It has been there since I was a kid and I'm 42 now! It's a real part of the education system so I know this is not an excercise in making money. It's there to provide training and education for the people of Manchester and it's surrounding areas. I am now hoping that I can get on here and get a good start in the tiling trade. I will try and get down there this week to have a look around. I will post my findings on here for the benefit of the masses

Peadee

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I'd go to NETT. 30hrs isn't much, and like faithhealer says... What are you gonna tile in 3hrs!?! I honestly think you'll be throwing away £350, but i could be wrong. :thumbsup:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
there are reputable training schools which are worth attending to be honest i wouldnt be going down the line of doing a course which consists of 3 hours a week for 10 weeks.you wont learn or tile much in 3 hours.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Mate
Dont want to come across as touting for business, but 3 hours once a week is a waste of time, by the time everyone gets there and you get started theres half an hour gone, then theres the cleaning down and the break in between. When you come back next week dont think the tiling you done the week before will be still there, so they will recap what you done the week before, its two steps forward and one step back, i know how the colleges work, you will still learn just not very fast, a good short course for not much more is more hours than that, ours is about 36 hours over 4 days continuous following on frow where you left off the previous day,
Something to think about, plus college wont tell you how to run a business in tiling,

P

peadee

Good points and fair comments. That gives me more to think about. I would go on a short course but cannot find one close enough to Manchester. I have 2 kids and 1 unreasonable ex:mad2:. The cost of staying away from home is also an issue at the moment. I fancied the course at Warrington but then the phone calls started. "Hello Peter, what did you think about our facilities? Oh by the way, we can knock £200 off for you if you sign up by Friday. After that it will be back to the full price". I didn't sign up. They rang again on the Thurs with the same offer. I didn't sign up. They rang on Monday with the same offer and I didn't sugn up. If they can knock £200 off so easily, they shouldn't be charging it in the first place. A few of the guys that were there at the same time as me, signed up on the day and I didn't hear anyone offering a £200 reduction. It has really put me off, will I get there and meet someone that got another £200! Who knows. It's a bit of a minefield

Peadee

Last edited by a moderator:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Mate we dont have to give people the hard sell, people ring us , we dont ring them, our price is as it says on the website unless there is an offer on there open to everyone, nobody wants a hard sell

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Good points and fair comments. That gives me more to think about. I would go on a short course but cannot find one close enough to Manchester. I have 2 kids and 1 unreasonable ex:mad2:. The cost of staying away from home is also an issue at the moment. I fancied the course at Warrington but then the phone calls started. "Hello Peter, what did you think about our facilities? Oh by the way, we can knock £200 off for you if you sign up by Friday. After that it will be back to the full price". I didn't sign up. They rang again on the Thurs with the same offer. I didn't sign up. They rang on Monday with the same offer and I didn't sugn up. If they can knock £200 off so easily, they shouldn't be charging it in the first place. A few of the guys that were there at the same time as me, signed up on the day and I didn't hear anyone offering a £200 reduction. It has really put me off, will I get there and meet someone that got another £200! Who knows. It's a bit of a minefield

Peadee

Yup, that'd put me off too. I'm not familiar with courses in your area, but i'd definitely look at the review section. I had to travel quite a way for the NETT course, but if there had been a course within commuting distance that had a good rep with people on this forum, i'd have taken that one. As it was, i'd have to stay whichever course i took, so figured i might as well go with the best i could find for the money. :thumbsup:

Reply to Local College Course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen