Discuss Limestone Tiles - Laying Tips (am I Mad?) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
All the Bastille floors I've done , I have used Mapei Ultra colour grout.

It's s nice coarser grout than most and most importantly for me , rapid setting. Which helps keep a nice flush joint.

And comes in loads!! Of colours.

As for the expansion strip if one is required , then either to suit tile colour or grout , not many options as you say when you need deep ones.

You could make your own cold joint if you get get suitable metal flat trims of that depth and then use Mapeis matching silicone to the grout , setting a min 10mm cold joint.

wayne

TF
Reaction score
Could you not just leave a 10mm gap across doorways for expansion and just silicone the joint. Done that a few times with no problems

T

TCS

Thanks chaps.

I hadn't really thought of making my own, but will look have a look into that, thanks. Seems a cost effective option.

Regarding the grout, would it be wise for me to invest in a grout application bag, due to the joints being fairly deep?

My method would be as follows:
  1. Apply grout into joints using the application bag.
  2. Then go over the joints (diagonally) with a rubber grouting float to achieve a flush finish
  3. Sponge off the excess
Is that right?

I will be sealing before and after grouting.

Cheers!

p.s. I don't want to speak to soon, but...I've discovered that I really like tiling!

S

Spare Tool

Thanks chaps.

I hadn't really thought of making my own, but will look have a look into that, thanks. Seems a cost effective option.

Regarding the grout, would it be wise for me to invest in a grout application bag, due to the joints being fairly deep?

My method would be as follows:
  1. Apply grout into joints using the application bag.
  2. Then go over the joints (diagonally) with a rubber grouting float to achieve a flush finish
  3. Sponge off the excess
Is that right?

I will be sealing before and after grouting.

Cheers!

p.s. I don't want to speak to soon, but...I've discovered that I really like tiling!
Using a grout bag would take you forever especially with those size joints, mix up half a 5kg bag at a time and force it into the joint with the grout float, if you go with mapie its a very very fine line between getting it too stiff or too wet, id edge on the side of stiff with such a wide joint. Grout about 3-4 sqm then go back and wash excess off. Its worth investing in a cheapish washboy too but id buy a decent quality sponge like a genesis to use with it though, and pull it diagonally over the joint not down the joint line..imo a sponge and a bucket of water will drag the grout out of the joints. Hope that helps.

Reply to Limestone Tiles - Laying Tips (am I Mad?) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay