Search the forum,

Discuss Limestone Carnage!! - restoration tips grateflully received in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jimshatner

Dear Tile chums,

I recently looked at a customers limestone wetroom; dogs dinner 'handy man' bodge up and said I'd try and get some advice in seeing if it can be saved.

Around all the joints (of the entire wetroom) is a slight discolouration which is rough to the touch. I'm not sure if this is grout that has been left on too long and was then scrubbed to death with a scourer or if the grout wasn't properly cleaned off in the first place and just sealed in.

The customer doesn't know what happened and so I was hoping somebody could suggest a process of investigation/treatment to cover all bases, perhaps starting with a recommended cleaner and/or perhaps suggesting a polishing/cleaning method/device, wire wool? Fein multimaster polishing attachments? Are there any questions I could ask that could make this task easier. Customer would be grateful just not to have to have the whole lot replaced.

Much obliged for any help I can get on this one.

Thanks
Jim

T

TilingLogistics

Dear Tile chums,

I recently looked at a customers limestone wetroom; dogs dinner 'handy man' bodge up and said I'd try and get some advice in seeing if it can be saved.

Around all the joints (of the entire wetroom) is a slight discolouration which is rough to the touch. I'm not sure if this is grout that has been left on too long and was then scrubbed to death with a scourer or if the grout wasn't properly cleaned off in the first place and just sealed in.

The customer doesn't know what happened and so I was hoping somebody could suggest a process of investigation/treatment to cover all bases, perhaps starting with a recommended cleaner and/or perhaps suggesting a polishing/cleaning method/device, wire wool? Fein multimaster polishing attachments? Are there any questions I could ask that could make this task easier. Customer would be grateful just not to have to have the whole lot replaced.

Much obliged for any help I can get on this one.

Thanks
Jim

Jim,

Hi! This is only an educated guess but from your description it sounds as though a silicone has been applied that has reacted with the calcite content in the stone therefore causing acid etching and discoloration. I could do with some more info to help further! Can you post or e mail photos? Where is the job located? Where are you in the country?

Kev

J

jimshatner

Hi Kev, Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to find out more details about the tiles themselves but the wetroom is right on the seafront in Brighton. I shall try to get some photos.

Re: materials used, all I know so far is that a Mapei Jasmine grout was used. The customer doesn't know which sealant was put on it, if at all. My gut instinct makes me think that it is grout which was sealed in. The tiling is very poor quality and no silicone was used in the internal corners!! The shapes of the effected areas remind me of what the tile looks like when you've just grouted but haven't cleaned off yet. What silicone product could it have been?

Many thanks for your assistance with this.

Cheers
Jim

T

TilingLogistics

Well from your description and without photos the only other thinkg I can think of is it must be grout haze.

Whenever silicone is applied to Natural stone it needs to be a neutral cure or it can bleed into the stone and cause discolouration.

Kev

J

jimshatner

Cheers for the tip Kev,

Do you know of a good cleaner that would cut through the impregnating sealer to remove grout haze? I'm assuming that would take a lot of the old elbow grease but I'm also worried about making the tiles worse with scourers etc. Can I ask what you would use?

Ta
JIM

T

TilingLogistics

Cheers for the tip Kev,

Do you know of a good cleaner that would cut through the impregnating sealer to remove grout haze? I'm assuming that would take a lot of the old elbow grease but I'm also worried about making the tiles worse with scourers etc. Can I ask what you would use?

Ta
JIM

Aqua Mix sealing and Coating remover to break the sealer down. Then I would probably hone it or sand the haze off:thumbsup:

Kev

J

jimshatner

Kev, you're a star. You don't happen to sell Aqua mix as part of your business do you? If you do then I'll buy it from you.

Sorry to pepper you with dull questions, I'm relatively new to the tiling business. I have a fein multimaster and have seen stone polishing attachments on Tradetiler. Would that be something you would recommend for this job? Or is there a better method?

Ta
JIM

Reply to Limestone Carnage!! - restoration tips grateflully received in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen