Search the forum,

Discuss Levelling 80m2 Concrete Slab (1 To 30mm) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

EViS

We have a 80m2 concrete slab which although fairly level, does have low and high spots varying between 1 and 30mm. What's going to be the most cost effective method of levelling the entire slab? I presume a form of SLC, but what brand and type? We'll need ALOT of 20kg bags which will get expensive VERY quick :(.

Last edited by a moderator:

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I used mapei latex trade for 850m2. I don't know what was paid as I didnt supply!

Attachments

• 2015-01-19 12.58.10.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 2015-01-22 14.41.35.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe obvious answer, but it has to be asked because you haven't said, are you tiling it? or just some of it? or what?

E

EViS

There is no underfloor heating.

Only around 20% will be tiled, 40% solid wood as floating floor, and the remaining 40% carpeted.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so some SLC isn't suitable for wood and carpet. It can't accept traffic directly. Glad I asked that then.

You might need to look at a couple of products that we don't always recommend tiling-wise because we don't need to.

Can anybody confirm this?

E

EViS

Oh, I always understood "cannot accept traffic directly" to mean it cannot be used as the final finish and must be covered (i.e. with a floor finish such as tile, wood, carpet, etc)?

S

Spare Tool

I'd be using tilemaster levelflex.. if you have the use of a laser level (if not borrow one) set that up then walk around the slab with a staff marking highs n lows on staff and floor as you go. Once you've found all your dips put a straight edge over them and draw the dips on the floor with a marker. Prime n level to a feathered edge.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I always understood "cannot accept traffic directly" to mean it cannot be used as the final finish and must be covered (i.e. with a floor finish such as tile, wood, carpet, etc)?
Afraid not.

Flooring that moves as you walk on it, ie carpet and floating wood floors, wear the surface down quite quick.

Pretty sure I'm not mixing up my technical specification sheets here. I might have to go read a bit to confirm.

E

EViS

I'd be using tilemaster levelflex.. if you have the use of a laser level (if not borrow one) set that up then walk around the slab with a staff marking highs n lows on staff and floor as you go. Once you've found all your dips put a straight edge over them and draw the dips on the floor with a marker. Prime n level to a feathered edge.
We've done just this and tbf a majority of the floor is within 10mm. There are only a handful of obvious dips upto 30mm max.

Sounds like a good plan with the straight edge (I was going to hand trowel the SLC about), but I think I'd prefer to 'wash' the whole floor with SLC to get it sweet.

Reply to Levelling 80m2 Concrete Slab (1 To 30mm) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen