Currently reading:
Leaking showerlay

Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking showerlay in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Ok hold up... I've just found a piece of ply which looks like plumber has cut out today with a multimaster or similar. Looks like the builder did not cut out a recess for the horizontal pipe earlier. Whilst he hasn't visibly damaged the underside of the board I'm going to guess this probably wasn't good for the drain fitting?

Could of held the trap at an angle causing water to pass the seal :-D

E

evilmango

Could of held the trap at an angle causing water to pass the seal :-D
I wonder if the plumber's multimaster attack somehow delaminated the plastic upper from the metal lower and water is ingressing between the layers? I definitely didn't see any water leaking from the rubber seal.

And I guess the question now is what can the contractor do to fix this... tear the whole thing up and start again?

E

evilmango

Thanks for all the comments last night.

I did a quick experiment this morning. Temporarily blocked the exit from the trap and ran the shower directly into the plastic with just the right flow so that it filled the plastic but didn't spill over. Result was that there is no leak at all from around the trap, leaving me thinking that the cutting unseated the drain in the board.

So I guess the question now remains how can it be repaired properly. Can tiles be removed and tanking matting glued around the drain?

E

evilmango

Doesn't sound good! Any pics!?

Not the best photos to show it, but here's a couple IMG-20140617-WA0002.jpg IMG-20140617-WA0004.jpg

Reply to Leaking showerlay in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement