Search the forum,

Discuss Laying Wood Effect Porcelain - Advice and grout selection in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

Get 2 planks, lay them face to face, clamp them together dead centre so the gap created by the bow is equal at both ends, measure the gap an divide it by 2 to get the amount of bow per tile. If its more than 2mm, its technically out of tolerance to comply with BSEN14411.

But with the correct layout you should still be able to get round it without it causing lippage. Could also have some levelling clips on hand for the odd tile here and there.

T

Tile Shop

Side note, no manufacturer recommends half bond. But i think thats a good thing anyway. Shorter random bond looks better imo and makes it look closer to real or engineered wood, rather than having a uniform stagger or step which takes the naturality (is that a word?) out of the appearance.

L

LM

Hi @Buckfast, hope you go easy on the stuff lol;)
One aspect that is always important, but even more crucial to a class looking job with planks is good prep. Make sure the substrate (floor) is flat, I can't emphasis enough how important that is to a real good looking plank effect floor. Have a chat with the tiler and builder before tiling starts and make sure that the floor is flat every where, around the sides and through the thresholds etc. Time and money spent getting that right to start with will be well worth it in the end, good luck :)

O

Old Mod

Side note, no manufacturer recommends half bond. But i think thats a good thing anyway. Shorter random bond looks better imo and makes it look closer to real or engineered wood, rather than having a uniform stagger or step which takes the naturality (is that a word?) out of the appearance.
Can you draw me a diagram of a short random bond Paul please, don't quite follow.

B

Buckfast

Can you draw me a diagram of a short random bond Paul please, don't quite follow.

IMG_1260.JPG

O

Old Mod

Obviously it's personal choice, for me, I'd go for a darker contrast.
Reasons being that with a darker colour it won't as a rule change colour with wear,tear and washing.
Also if you look at the average timber floor,there is a noticeable joint between the planks, which in a lot of cases appears very dark.
If you have a lighter colour it instantly looks like tiles.

T

Tile Shop

In this, the tile is 1200x230. The stagger is random between 100 and 300mm (quarter). You could go longer if the tile is flat enough. but this is my preferred layout.
upload_2017-1-27_8-51-24.png

Reply to Laying Wood Effect Porcelain - Advice and grout selection in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen