Search the forum,

Discuss Laying over Thermal ROCKFLOOR in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi,

This is for a bathroom (including a bath).

I have a buildup of timber joists / 22mm ply / 25mm thermal rockwool batts (with wet UFH pipes running through them). I would appreciate any suggestions on what layer to add next to create enough rigidty to lay tiles.

I appreciate that trying to lay tiles with (relatively) soft wool bats underneath is asking for trouble, but the other layers carry across from the rest of the 1st floor and are in place already. I have made sure the chipboard is plane and level by carefully packing the joists to remove unevenness, so as long as any loads are spread out the wool bats shouldn't deform significantly.

I have two ideas:

1) 22mm screedboard plus a layer of 6mm hardie board attacehd with screws and adhesive to add stiffness. On the rest of the flat I already have screedboard 22mm. This is reasonably rigid, but can flex at joints (and also deforms slowly over time in response to any loads esp. with humididty as the boards are a mix of cellulose fibres and gypsum).

2) Two layers of 12mm hardie board with staggered joints, screws, tile adhesive. This isn't as thermally conductive though.

3) Other suggestions?

(Incidentally, the rockwool batts function to provide both acoustic insulation and as a conduit for the UFH. It works nicely if you can sacrifice the 50mm height)

Thanks for your time.
P

F

fredbobrichard

if i understand correctly the insulation is between the joists, pipes above it, and ply on top of that...?
IF the pipes are above the ply on kingspan cut outs i would consider self leveling.
I would be leary of screwing on any material over underfloor heating.
Even without U.H., I always use screws that are not long enough to penetrete out of the floorboards and into any pipes or cables underneath them

Reply to Laying over Thermal ROCKFLOOR in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen