Search the forum,

Discuss Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dumbo

You could consider fixing schluter kerdi membrane to it which I believe is a popular system in north America

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I think I should tell them I need a grout joint to at least use leveling wedges because of the amount of thinset needed behind these, what I consider large tile. The wedges keep a 3/16 grout line.

D

Dumbo

You need a grout joint because if you don't the tiles will leak . Also recommend using a thinner levelling clip than your joint width . So create joint width with spacers so levelling clips come out easily without chipping tiles .

O

Old Mod

Durock is only water durable and not waterproof.
You would be well advised to use Hydroban or RedGaurd as a waterproofing membrane over the Durock. This will give you a waterproof substrate on which to tile to.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
If I end up finishing this job I will take everyones advice and do my best. I've done plenty of work for myself ok, but it is different when someone else looking over your shoulder is paying the bills.

O

Old Mod

If I end up finishing this job I will take everyones advice and do my best. I've done plenty of work for myself ok, but it is different when someone else looking over your shoulder is paying the bills.
You’ve already done more than most I’m sure, just by researching the project and all that it entails.
Come back let us know how you got on.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
You’ve already done more than most I’m sure, just by researching the project and all that it entails.
Come back let us know how you got on.

I will for sure, thank you very much. I hope it works out ok, whoever sets it, especially letting the house freeze for five months a year. The old melamine was perfect, just ugly.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I've decided to try a shower job on my own place first. Then make a decision to do my neighbor's or not. I have a small camp on my property that will be good practice and has almost the same situation as the people I caretake for. I'll keep my progress posted when possible.

Reply to Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen