Search the forum,

Discuss Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Dan,
I maybe getting ahead of myself but as far as the pattern, if I use the same size they want in their stall, 12x24, vertical, is there a standard setting pattern? Starting with a full tile in the center bottom of the back wall leaves about 1/3rd a tile at top. Should i use a 2/3rds piece on both sides of the center full tile?

O

Old Mod

Depends in the effect you want to see.
Most plank effect areas start with a full piece, or nearly if it leaves horrid cut at end of the run.
The second run starts with the off cut from the first. It becomes a totally random bond giving the most life like timber finish.
If there’s a timber floor you can view you’ll get the concept.
Symmetry doesn’t work well.
You can still mark out from centre, but for example, take the far left corner and measure up where your cut will end and take the offcut and place it in position of the next course and work out the next top cut, then put that off cut centre or your shower. 😁

881612E9-865E-4821-BC76-764AE703566A.jpeg

Employ same technique to your wall as in the end of this floor in the window area
You’ll have to enlarge image probably.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
20191007_103941.jpg
If I start with full tile in centre and use the piece left from the top cut, this is how it would look, correct? Too symmetrical ?

O

Old Mod

Personally I’d say yes, try a shorter plank left corner.
Or just adjust left corner up and down till you reach a desired effect.
Starting the next row with off cut isn’t mandatory, you can also shorten that if it helps give a more random appearance.
Obviously the beauty of being able to leave them in one piece is that it’s less work for you.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Okay thanks, I guess the more random you make it, the better it looks. Its tough with such large tile in such a small area. More waste also.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Looks awesome, is that travertine? Do you grout all the pits and holes so it can be cleaned?

Reply to Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen