Search the forum,

Discuss Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I am a non pro who has been asked to set some large tiles on a shower wall tight. is that recommended?

D

Dumbo

What size tiles .
How thin.
What are shower dimensions .
Conventional wisdom is to grout joints between tiles . But you may be saying large panels that only need siliconing in the corner and at the floor as there may be no other joints

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it would depend on the size.

Large tiles are hard to get coverage on. And it's not for the faint hearted. Have you tiled before? What background are you tiling onto? Have you considered how you're going to waterproof the shower area before you fix a tile? The tiles wont waterproof the shower alone. You need to 'tank' the shower before you even mix your tile adhesive etc.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I'm in inches over here so they are 12 x 24 x .375, 300 X 600 X 10 USING VERSA BOND LARGE FORMAT ADHESIVE

D

Dumbo

They have to be grouted between the tiles and siliconed in the corner . Waterproofing your shower area before tiling is good practice although I don't know if it's a tcna recommendation or not . Maybe something you should check

craigy

TF
Reaction score
It's an older home, that had 5/8 plywood with old school Melamine panels glued to it. I was going to screw cement board right over everything, tape and seal the joints and corners

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
In tile setting terms, we've only been in metric for a couple of decades and our average member age is 50. So we've got thousands who still haven't converted to metric on here lol :D :D :D

craigy

TF
Reaction score
They also want it vertical so I am also worried about how flat the walls will turn out. I'm just their caretaker and want to advise them to get a pro but everyone is so busy, no one returns calls in our extremely rural area. Also, the home is shut down in winter, I mean all heat will be off.

D

Dumbo

Cement board generally tends to be water tolerant no waterproof. Although your products maybe different

Reply to Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen