Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Large format popped around edges in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys I wonder if anybody can tell me what's gone wrong. We have laid a load of 1200sq porcelain tiles using the retailers recommend adhesive. The ufh was fired up a week later and temp was raised a couple of degrees per day and every tile has lifted around the edges. They are still stuck firm in the middle. We used the prolevel levelling system to help align the joints. It might be worth noting corex sheets were taped over the top fee a couple of weeks and locked a fair bit of moisture in. Before I approach our public liability company I'd like to know what's caused it. Thanks in advance.

T

Time's Ran Out

What was the substrate?
Any decoupling/crack mats used?
Adhesive type?
Adhesive bed depth?
Solid bed fixed or have the levelling clips pulled the edges up?

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the replies. They were laid over a flowing 40mm screed that had been down for two months as instructed by the company. No decoupling mats were used, the adhesive was norcros S1 standard set flexible Norcros Standard Set Flexible S1 Grey Tile Adhesive - Norcros Adhesives, trading division of Norcros Group (Holdings) - https://www.ribaproductselector.com/Product.aspx?ci=27063&pr=NorcrosAdhesives-NorcrosStandardSetFlexibleS1GreyTileAdhesive they were laid with a 10mm notched trowel and clips were used, there was a curve along the edges and most corners pulled when the clips were tightened. The room is 8mx8m and joints are 3mm and 10mm around the perimeter. I haven't lifted a tile yet as they are all still fixed in the centers. They are 1200mm X 1200mm x 12mm porcelain

T

Tile Shop

BS5385, part 3, C.2.4:
"Once the floor tiling is installed, the heating system should not be run for at least 10 days in order to allow the tile bedding to cur/dry thoroughly".

3 days too soon shouldn't make too much difference, but the cold temps we've had recently would drastically slow the curing process.

D

Dumbo

Did you back butter the tile , most on here would advocate using at least a 10mm trowel on the floor and a 6mm notch trowel on the tile with the ribs running in the same direction .

T

Tile Shop

Hi thanks for the replies. They were laid over a flowing 40mm screed that had been down for two months as instructed by the company. No decoupling mats were used, the adhesive was norcros S1 standard set flexible Norcros Standard Set Flexible S1 Grey Tile Adhesive - Norcros Adhesives, trading division of Norcros Group (Holdings) - https://www.ribaproductselector.com/Product.aspx?ci=27063&pr=NorcrosAdhesives-NorcrosStandardSetFlexibleS1GreyTileAdhesive they were laid with a 10mm notched trowel and clips were used, there was a curve along the edges and most corners pulled when the clips were tightened. The room is 8mx8m and joints are 3mm and 10mm around the perimeter. I haven't lifted a tile yet as they are all still fixed in the centers. They are 1200mm X 1200mm x 12mm porcelain

Laitence removed?
Primer used?

Still no mention of back buttering, so chances are you lifted the tile out of the adhesive. A 10mm serration on its own is insufficient on large format tiles.

T

Time's Ran Out

40mm poured screed!
Possibly a gypsum based screed with a standard set s1 adhesive!
Surprised if there is cover on a liability insurance for workmanship.

D

Dumbo

BS5385, part 3, C.2.4:
"Once the floor tiling is installed, the heating system should not be run for at least 10 days in order to allow the tile bedding to cur/dry thoroughly".

3 days too soon shouldn't make too much difference, but the cold temps we've had recently would drastically slow the curing process.
Maybe covering with the corded may have slowed the curing time also . So possible accumulation of factors there .

Reaction score
The radiators were on in the house and it was fairly warm. The ufh was only opened up very slightly we didn't notice any warmth for the first few days. The backs of the tile were not back buttered which I first thought could be the problem although it wouldn't explain the edges only popping. I can't actually find a datasheet for the adhesive. It's not even listed on their website, I will email. The smaller cuts around the perimeter seem to have stuck well. Thanks for your help guys.

Reaction score
Yeah the floor was pretty wet when we lifted the cordex. The tile shop recommended adhesive based on the floor screed spec and tiles they supplied. Could they have issued the wrong stuff. I have a feeling not buttering the back of the tile is possibly the problem here. Apparently my pl covers workmanship so my partner says but we'd rather not make a claim if possible. Willing to hold my hands up though. Laurence was fully removed and primer also recommended by the tile shop was used. I'll have to find out what it was .

Reply to Large format popped around edges in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks