Currently reading:
Kitchen backsplash

Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen backsplash in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi there, I'm renovating my kitchen on a budget and have just removed the tiles from behind the kitchen work surfaces and around the windows. My plan is to re tile it myself. The tiles were only four high. I was dreading the damage, but 90% of the tiles came off without a fight. There were a few areas that pulled big chunks of plaster out, maybe 4-5 inches in size, so I patched a few bits of plaster board in and slapped in some pretty big blobs of polyfiller. It doesn't look bad. This has left the repaired areas slightly bumpy by a few mm's here and there - do you think it's ok to use a rotary sander to take the bumps down to match the surrounding straight bits? How perfect does the tiling surface have to be? I am trying my best to take my time and make a good job of it.
Thanks
Rob

C

CJ CERAMICS

using a sander to remove the excess should be fine, as to how good does the surface have to be, the simple answer is the better the surface the better the finish. Is the surface flat and square, try running a level across it from top to bottom and side to side and mark where you have any low spots, this will allow you increase-dercrease the adhesive to get a flat surface. if the surface is realy bumpy the best way for me personally is to trowell the adhesive on the wall and then fully cover the back of the tile aswell, but remember that this will increase the curing time on the adhesive before grouting.
hope this helps
chris

Reply to Kitchen backsplash in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.