Electric UFH Kickboards - Tile Advice

• Thread starter Paul2468
  • Start date
  • Replies 29
  • Views 5K

Discuss Kickboards in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

EdinTiler

@Paul2468 Nothing much you can do if it's an insulation issue other than accept it unless you, in the great words of Orange Juice 'Rip it up and start again'.
I pretty much refuse to fit ufh without the appropriate insulation boards because of what you are experiencing now Paul. Apparently a minimum of 70% of rising heat is lost when no insulation is used. Especially on a concrete floor.
EdinTiler

P

Paul2468

Well that is what client is asking to rip it up, and re do it. The builder supplied materials we just fitted what was given to us, so dont know where that leaves us really. Builder seems to think we are responsible even though we just fitted what was supplied

O

Old Mod

Well that is what client is asking to rip it up, and re do it. The builder supplied materials we just fitted what was given to us, so dont know where that leaves us really. Builder seems to think we are responsible even though we just fitted what was supplied

Is he expecting u to replace everything?
UFH, tiles and labour?
First thing I'd be doing is talking to Schluter!

E

EdinTiler

to be honest, you should've known that ufh will fail without appropriate insulation but at the same time I would think that the builder has to assume some responsibility as he spec' the materials. It's a tough one but you could find yourself in the middle of something messy here Paul mate.
EdinTiler

S

Spare Tool

Does actually state on the schluter website it doesn't need insulation boards
wp_ss_20160117_0001.png

O

Old Mod

I think u should get schluters take on the problem.
If they say u have a correct installation minus the boards, ie u've left the cable back from the kickboards the correct distance and that it is usual for a decline in temp at that point on the floor then u'll have an arguement!
The insulation board wouldn't make a difference to the heat dropping off at the edges as far as I can see.
It'll just take longer to come up to temp.
The heat will radiate a certain distance from the cable, so if each cable let's say radiates heat over 50mm, then beyond that it will cool, so at 75mm the edge will be cooler.
On the other hand, if they say u can take cable up to edge of kick boards,
Then u may have a problem.

As far as builder taking responsibility, well you're the Proffesional floor layer, he is not!
I would imagine that in a legal situation, u'd be the one held accountable because you're the Proffesional.
Pretty much in the same way a disclaimer written by u and signed by a client for u to cut corners isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

J

J Sid

I had something similar wire wire ufh. Took floor temps in different areas.
Turns out main floor was reading 20.3C and 19.5C around kickboards' and felt cold.
The ufh was turned up to about 22C and this had a marked different to the feel in this area.

J

J Sid

Have you got photos of each stage of job?
Easy to do now with phone. And handy if problems arise.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score

Reply to Kickboards in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks