Search the forum,

Discuss Key To Success In Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DaveCSC

Good thread.
A lot of people do get roped into training courses on the belief that they will earn £50,000 per year. I recently contacted a company that were advertising plumbing courses through distance learning. The course cost approx £4,000, when I queried the cost he replied that doctors leave college with debts of £15,000 and they won’t earn £50,000 a year and why wouldn’t I book on the course and did I still want to be in a dead end job in 12 months – total hard sell. (Just to let you know I am from Construction Skills College in Stoke, I told this company though that I worked in a factory and was depressed with my job so that I could find out what they were all about).

Customer service is very important and it can be the little things that make a big difference, for example, if you went to price a job wearing jeans and a top or you went to price a job wearing work trousers and a top with your business name printed on the difference in the customer’s eyes is massive. Their first impression of your professionalism is key, and the cost of a couple of tops is very low.

And the basics – be on time, be friendly, be confident, be tidy – when you have finished a job a customer does not want to have to clean up after you. AND don’t forget to take photos of your work and build up a portfolio.

Did you know that organisations such as business initiatives and business link occasionally run courses on working for yourself covering areas such as marketing, book keeping, etc? These courses are free and in Stoke you can attend either during the day or evenings.

I

ipanderson83

I have quit my job and am currently looking at doing a Tiling training course.
This is exactly the post I needed to read to reassure me that I am making the right decision in what I am doing.
MARKETING, SALES, YOU, END PRODUCT are all the things that I have always concerntrated on as an Ex Salesman.

Thanks...

C

cornish_crofter

I have been self employed doing various handyman jobs for around 4 years now.

We also renovate and develop property so the customer focused business is part time.

That said, my only advert is with the local village newsletter.

I get most of my work via recommendations. I tend to keep my clients in the picture wrt progress and when I intend to be on site. I suppose I am quite chatty, which in some walks of life can be a disadvantage, but people like that in me (unless they are just being polite:grin:).

I did catch a small cold a while ago. I had so much repeat work from about 7 people that I neglected to grow my client base. Due to their personal curcumstances the work from a couple of major clients dried up and I was left with about a weeks worth of work.

Then other work appeard out of nowhere!

I know that I may not be the best that there is, but I do a reasonable job and people like having me in their house. I think that's what counts.

The other thing is honesty. One client who I was recommended to wants me to install a wet room. I have told him quite honestly that I have never installed a wet room before so we are researching it together.

W

White Room

I have been self employed doing various handyman jobs for around 4 years now.

We also renovate and develop property so the customer focused business is part time.

That said, my only advert is with the local village newsletter.

I get most of my work via recommendations. I tend to keep my clients in the picture wrt progress and when I intend to be on site. I suppose I am quite chatty, which in some walks of life can be a disadvantage, but people like that in me (unless they are just being polite:grin:).

I did catch a small cold a while ago. I had so much repeat work from about 7 people that I neglected to grow my client base. Due to their personal curcumstances the work from a couple of major clients dried up and I was left with about a weeks worth of work.

Then other work appeard out of nowhere!

I know that I may not be the best that there is, but I do a reasonable job and people like having me in their house. I think that's what counts.

The other thing is honesty. One client who I was recommended to wants me to install a wet room. I have told him quite honestly that I have never installed a wet room before so we are researching it together.

Give Tony at wetdecs a call he knows his wet rooms:thumbsup:

G

garretridge

spot on darren after the course with you back in april i have worked on this side of the business getting confident with people selling myself and it has worked for me getting better as the weeks go on and can see a difference in my order book because of it! cheers-Ian -Tiling Solutions.:thumbsup:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
There is a key to success 2 on here as well somewhere, mayber dave can put it next to the first one, just gives you that bit extra push when reading it

Its not something you start off doing, it should just be a way of life, second nature to do it, thats when you will notice the difference in the earnings and bookings
Glad your doing well and the course worked for you
Regards
Darren

Last edited:
J

Jimmy

This is my first post but, I thought I could add a little to this having been a self employed plumber for years and coming into tiling to expand my work horizons. I like to think I got jobs out of quotes through being truefull, genuine and honest. I always try to come across as if nothing is too much trouble and tell the customer the things they want to hear without leading them on . The big thing is to apear confident even if you are not, there is a lot you can work out/research behind closed doors away from customers.

C

ChrisJWood

Jimmy's right you'll find most people in this world seem to blag what they can do. Confidence gives a customer security and so long as you're willing to research what you don't know (this forum being a great place to do that!) then you can't go wrong. Confidence over competence is no excuse tho.

D

Donnie

HI Darren, having been a self employed person for 20 years i know all the draw backs with making a success. However I am considering changing my career and becoming a tiler. I have tiled for quite a few people for no charge Mostly family, but i want to ask one question. In this current climate of uncertainty, do you think there is work for new tilers just starting out? In a dilema to give up what I am doing and start a new career after my divorce. Would love to hear your opinion. My area of work will be Northern Ireland.

Reply to Key To Success In Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen