Search the forum,

Discuss Just booted up my old machine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just booted up my old machine after about 2 years of it not being used.

Used to be a really good computer back in its day.

It's running Windows XP x64 and did have 4GB ram back in the day when only 2 would run on 32bit PC's.

Turns our 2GB of ram aint working, for some reason it says I now have 2.46GB lol which is near on impossible so I think something has gone amiss.

Trying to update it and get it up to speed. So I went to windows update. There are 2GB of updates, 56 of them in all. So letting it update see what that does.

Might be worth about 50p now but it cost me 3K back in about 2002 or something.

O

Olz

I keep thinking of buying an older machine for pence then tinkering about and upgrading it a part at a time, I used to build my own years ago but ive lost touch with it all now.

Dont even know what a good processor it these days...lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest mate it often isn't worth it. You'd probably need a new motherboard to run new parts, and that means you've just bought a case. lol

Found some cool old websites on this one though.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
haha

I'm still running windows update on it. I think it's crashed at 53% it's been there for ages. lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Rebooted it to see what it did. And now it's stuck on "installing update 1 of 12". It said there were 50-something updates I needed so it's not going to work properly for a week or so at this rate. haha

I'll leave it on over night see what happens by the morning.

Poor thing. Worked my back side off on it, it'd be sad to see it give up on me now.

Reply to Just booted up my old machine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen