Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss is there a real solution to chipping tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Peter A

I have purchased Porcelanosa Shine Dark 1000 x 333 wall tiles and installed them very successfully ....up till this point....but due to the fact I had no corners to frame. Now, due to window and boxing forming a recess i do have corners to frame plus cuts longer than 500 so i am in a dilema! I can snap them very cleanly but as soon as they set eyes upon my tile cutter they chip. I purchased a new Erbaurer 750w; 180 x 22.2 disc and with the standard blade, not pushing too hard and letting the disc do the work, etc, etc, they still suffer the same problem.

So after reading many many of the posts on here and the advice that is given I am about to purchase a quality disc to see if that resolves the issue. From what I can see it boils down to a few so the question is, which one .....from Montolit is it CPS, CPF or go the whole hog with the DNA, Rubi CPC 180 or a Marcrist blade??

I am not a tradesman but have been in the building trade all my working career so will do most things successfully with the right tools after watching, learning and having the confidence......apart from plastering that is!! :)

Now I am stumped, help!!

Am I being too picky or is there a solution??

B

borgie

hi peter, you should try the marcrist blade. Is it the thin layer of glaze that is cracking or the actual tile? I have had this problem many times before with different kinds of tiles. The marcrist blade usually sorts it out, but sometimes when it doesn't the only other option is wet cutting. I hope this helps.

W

White Room

If you need to do a right angle cut just cut into the right angle corner with your wet cutter then use a manual cutter for the remaining cuts....if you see what I mean.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

scribe bouth lines to be cut first then use your grinder to cut the shortest line on the inside of the scribe useing a damp sponge to cool the blade if you cut to one side of the srcibe line it should not chip the good side now snap off the long pieces

P

Perry

this should sort it
http://www.tilersforums.com/members/pjc-albums-pete-picture16846-corner-cut.html
pjc-albums-pete-picture16846-corner-cut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
If you score all lines first either on your manual cutter or with a scribe. Then cut on the wetsaw on the waste side of the line. this "should" stop the tile and glaze chipping.

P

Peter A

Thanks for all the advice, in answer to some of the other questions above, it is the long thin high gloss ones, it is the glaze not the tile thats cracking, I may have to buy a longer manual cutter though!!

I will have some practice runs.

Hopefully, I can do some more tiling rather than looking aimlessly at it then going to cut the grass!! :)

Thanks again all

Reply to is there a real solution to chipping tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks