Search the forum,

Discuss Intervals of screws on ply in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MissH

Hi,
I posted another thread a while ago on the problems I was having with my ceramic tiling in my kitchen. Briefly job done end of 2008, grout started cracking after 2 weeks. Tiles "re-fixed" by builder except they weren't and they've failed really badly leaving my floor in a terrible mess. Sorry not sure how to post a link to that thread..

I wrote to him and he's basically blamed me for making him put 6mm ply down. I also commented on the advice I'd received here and from a pro tiler that he should have screwed the boards down at 150mm intervals not 300mm. He's come back saying he followed the instrucutions on the adhesive "plywood fixed at 300mm". Actually I still have the bag of adhesive he used (Ultra Pro flex single part rapid set adhesive) in the garage and it states "Boards should be 18mm thick and screwed down to the joists at 300mm centres or less". He's also saying that the tiles could have failed due to water leaks, dropping of heavy goods (? his words!) and general "missed used" (? again his wording).

My question is, what does 300mm centre mean? Should the edges be screwed down closer together? If he read the instructions on the bag then why has he installed only 6mm boards. Very upsetting. Could you also tell me how long a tiled floor is reasonably supposed to last please?

I really need to get an independent tiling report done to take this further in samll claims but looked on the TTA website and it costs about £1000! Do any pro tilers do inspection reports? I'm happy to pay a fee but can't afford a one that expensive which is more than it would cost to get the tiles done again :( From my pictures do you think I would have a good case in small claims?

He's also complaining that I've sent him too many letters (about other structural work he did) and that he won't answer all of them!

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

This one ? http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/54861-how-much-work-involved-taking-up.html#post567461

300mm means no screw should be further apart than that from the next screw. Pro tilers usually do it between 150mm and 200mm if possible.

A ceramic floor should last as long as it needs, usually only getting replaced when out of date fashions dictate or new kitchen etc is installed.

For a tiler to give you a report , you could try I'm Looking for a Wall and Floor Tiler but read this 1st http://www.tilersforums.com/im-look...-please-read-before-employing-tiler-here.html

A report from another tiler would only be his opinion against the builders though. It could be useful in arbitration though and indeed maybe also if court proceedings were to follow.

M

MissH

Yes that's the right link thanks Sir Ramic and for your useful advice. I read this forum quite a lot so know who posts often!

I'm going to video the floor tiles coming up so will check on the intervals of the screws carefully. I suppose if the boards had been 18mm and screwed at 300mm it would have been okay... The job the builder did looked like a disaster wating to happen now I know more :( He also seems to think because a few years have passed, he should not be held responsible for the tiling failing which I know is not the case with a tiled floor...

D

DHTiling

I know the TTA reports can be high priced but they will stand up in a court of law no probs.

If you use a tiler , then his ability to do a report and it's credibility could be questioned.

Worth thinking about and also any costs incurred can be reclaimed.

M

MissH

Thanks Dave,

Yes it would be great but sadly can't afford the extra £1000 as I need to get my whole kitchen done and draw some sort of line under the issue finally.

Having read some past threads on here it looks like people have gone down the getting reports from professional tilers route. I'm sure someone judging would be able to look at the photos ( the rest of his work) and see a couple of reports from proper tilers and see that he had done a bad job.

I actually had someone round to price me up for a kitchen (a joiner) yesterday and he commented on the tiles straightaway! He said it looks as though"builder" has used standard cheap 6mm ply (not WBP which you should apparently?) and that moisture has eventually got into the cracks in the grout and adhesive and then into the ply completely warping it underneath. Hence tiles popping up everywhere pretty much one after the other. Obviously I have had to clean the floor (though I tried not to use too much water) but I can't believe that you can't mop a tiled floor though...

Yet another thing he has done wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Intervals of screws on ply in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen