Search the forum,

Discuss How to tile into a window (sill, reveal & top) - no trim - porcelain. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

george 1

Hello.
I am new on the forum and a passably competent DIYer.
I am probably about to ask a really stupid question but.... Here goes.

I am planning on tiling my bathroom with porcelain tiles - I have some experience of tiling and understand the requirement to square up the room, window etc.

But I come completely unstuck when it comes to tiling into the window sill, reveals and top (what is that called? Lintel?).
I don't want to use trim.
I have read elsewhere on this forum about using butt joints but I am having a problem envisaging how these would work.

For instance:
On the reveals, it would look best if the edge of the tile in the reveal were covered by the wall tile.
However on the sill, the sill tile should probably overlap the wall tile for best effect. Not sure about the top - I suspect it would look best tiled as the reveals.

My problems - What happens at the conjunction of the reveal with the sill?
Are there better ways (or put another way - am I talking rubbish?)
Why have I agreed to do this?:rolleyes5:

Any advice and/or comments - most gratefully received.
All the best
George.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Re: How to tile into a window (sill, reveal & top) - no trim - porcel

A lot depends on the type of porcelain.. Are they full bodied, or is there a glazed face and different back? If the tiles are full bodied, you could butt finish them. The other option would be to mitre the tiles. Not an easy task without the proper equipment i'm afraid, but the best over-all look...
As for which way to tile the reveals.. Horses for courses really. If you're able to get a really clean cut with no chipping you could cover the reveal tile with the wall tile, but i think you maybe making work for yourself.
My personal preference is for a square edged (or boxed) chrome trim, over butting the tiles anyday. ;)

beanz

TF
Reaction score

Just a thought... Have you tiled with Porcelain before? Do you have the right tools for the job?

C

charlie1

Even a good diyer will find it very tricky to get passable results tiling around a window. This is one area of tiling i love. 1, must make sure this wall is completely plumb, failure to do so will lead to problems on the internal cuts. 2, how are you going to support the cuts at the top from slipping, i rig up a timber frame that can be screwed in to the top of window. 3, I'm guessing you don't have a laser level. So use a slow setting adhesive, when you get to the top and tiles are not letting right, this will buy you time to make corrections.

i think you are about to embark on a very stressful area of tiling for a diyer and even some pros. All i will say is throw perfection out the window as it takes years to get this area perfect.

beanz

TF
Reaction score

I have to agree with you there charlie1, i still hate doing windows. If the wall isn't perfectly flat, it's a real pain.

P

Peter

Keeping perfect levels and squares is a must. I did many a window as an apprentice that when the tiles met above the window either were too tight or too far apart. :lol:

Not sure about the aesthetics of butted tiles though, looks very minimum effort. Either mitres or chrome flat trim.

C

charlie1

Keeping perfect levels and squares is a must. I did many a window as an apprentice that when the tiles met above the window either were too tight or too far apart. :lol:

Not sure about the aesthetics of butted tiles though, looks very minimum effort. Either mitres or chrome flat trim.

one of the good things with rectified porcelain, if too tight on the top tile and you cant move, then simply cut short if its not too much. You can even re form the small .5mm chamfered edge with a diamond pad.

G

george 1

Wow - thanks for the responses - much appreciated.

To cover a few of the points raised so far.
I do have a laser level - I use it for my daily work but thanks for the tips about plumb walls - that may have been one I would have missed - obviously (now that you point it out) it has an effect on the look of the reveals.
The tiles I have ordered are full bodied.
Supporting the top tiles - got that one sussed, thanks.

Chrome flat trim - I don't know about this - I shall investigate - I can see how it might make the task simpler but I have to say I really dislike the idea of any trim at all.
Mitre joints - may be beyond my skill level - although I can do them in timber and have access to a good tile cutting machine (diamond disk) thanks to the extravagances of a friend - a lawyer with too much money to spend on tools he can't use! If I was to go this route, I assume there is a grout line on the corner so the colour of the grout (or would it be mastic) will have a bearing on whether to choose this method.

Once again - thanks very much for your input.
All the best
George

C

charlie1

If you mitre then you will need to remove 1 mm off the point, you can either do it straight or opposite mitre angle. Trust me, what your about to embark on seems logically understandable, add cement with an unskilled hand to the mix then it can spiral out of control. Good luck though mate.

G

george 1

add cement with an unskilled hand to the mix then it can spiral out of control

I have taken your (collective) point - what I am proposing to do is extremely difficult - even apparently for some pros. I thought as much - hence my questions.

Having started the bathroom revamp, I have to continue. I'll give it my best shot but I guess I may have to use trim if I am going to get a passable result. Only snag - I am a perfectionist and love to do stuff like this aiming for the best possible result. The real world will doubtless impinge on my ideals. Ain't life a drag!

Many thanks
All the best
George

Reply to How to tile into a window (sill, reveal & top) - no trim - porcelain. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen